Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

As some of you know my family has a lab rescue with discoid lupus. We finally have his lupus under control and we are planning another canine addition to our family next spring. I know that adopting is best and will for sure be looking at rescues but I am torn between a few breeds. I love long hair dachshunds but I have read that they are horrible to train and horrible with children ( I have a 1 year old, a 3 year old, and planning one more) I also LOVE golden retrievers but I kind of want a small dog and I read that Golden retrievers have a TON of energy. I have also been looking at small breed beagles ( winning so far). They are ADORABLE and I read they are great with children but are loud and stubborn. I am also looking at Maltese or morkie, but I dont know if I can deal with the tear stains. Any advice...ideas?

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I have a 3 year old golden retriever and he's a couch potato. : ) But, then, HaHa is a little 'different' due to a mild learning disorder. He does get excited very easily though. Because of his learning issues, I can't teach him to stop pawing...and sometimes he 'connects' and both I and my sister have been left with welts and in my case, a few times, with long bloody scratches from his toe nails. I don't have kids, but I have noticed that when my 4 year old niece is around, HaHa seems to be more subdued with her and he doesn't rush up and overwhelm her like he does with adults....he loves to go up to her though and lets her pet and hug him. It might be he does understand she's small and can't be bumped into and such like he does with larger people.

I think dogs do behave in certain ways, based upon breed...but inside that, they are still individuals and one can find like say a low energy golden, lab, poodle, ect....although I have my doubts that there is such thing as a low energy border collie (joke) :p I think though, too, that no matter what the breed...puppies are high energy...some will grow up and calm down, but my brother had a yellow lab...who remained super high energy her whole life...and I've seen a lot of labs that were super mellow by the time they were 4 or 5 years old.

If you have a 1 and a 3 year old... I'm not so sure those are good ages to have when introducing a new dog into the home. Kids that young just don't understand the concept of not getting into a dog's personal space at the wrong moment, or they are too harsh and pull hair, or try to pick up a dog that doesn't want picked up...etc. A small dog, could be venerable to injury too, if a 3 or 4 year old child tried to pick one up and dropped it, or fell on the dog or tried to sit on the dog...etc.

Goldens are as a breed, pretty forgiving I think when it comes to growing up with kids around...but again...that all depends on the dog and what's being done to it by the child. But too...as puppies, I'm sure they have a lot of energy...and a kid could get knocked down or even nipped in play by a puppy that doesn't know better.

Stormy

Reactions: Sabina88 and timber

·
Registered
279 Posts
In your situation I would personally go of a rescue of any breed of a size sufficient not to be hurt by your children, but with a proven record with young children.

I would probably only take a foster dog being fostered in a home with young children, or a dog being surrendered by a family with children due to reasons not to do with the dog (housing financial etc)

If the dog is large enough to be safe from accidental injury and LOVES (not just tolerates) attention from your children, even with an occasional accidental ear tug or fur pull then that is the dog for you!

Beagles are lovely dogs, ! Watch out for the snack stealing though! We had an old rescue beagle when my daughter had just turned 2 and my son 4, and despite his other issues, he was from the get go a total softie around the children.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts