Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3 year old Yorkshire terrier x shih tzu named Max, it all started about half way through the day, he was doing that backwards sneezing thing which we thought was normal as he does it often, he usually does it once then carries on and it doesn't happen again in the day, but he's been doing it ever since then, about every 5 minutes and seems like he wants to throw up and will shake but nothing will happen.
I've tried massaging his neck and other techniques but nothing is working.
The only thing we can think it is he's got bacon or something stuck (we don't feed him stuff like that but my 2 year old niece was giving him food while we weren't watching, we don't like our dogs begging for food.)
He just looks very poorly and not like my Maxie at all, he's asleep at the moment, I just want to make sure he's okay as he was very very poorly when we got him as a pup ( we think we got scammed and he might of actually been a puppy mill pup, he definitely wasn't weaned from his mummy.)
I can't ring the vets or anything as it's 2am :/ I'm probably just over reacting and it's my anxiety / depression kicking in. Hope this doesn't waste anyone's time ! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Most vets have an after hours emergency clinic that they refer to, they usually leave the information to the after hours clinic on their message machine. A breathing issue of any sort is definitely not something that can wait till the morning, especially if he's already looking "poorly".

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Hopefully by now you have had him to a Vet. Any breathing difficulty is potentially life threatening and should be dealt with quickly. Don't know where you are located, but virtually all urban areas have 24 hour pet emergency clinics. Its always a good idea to find out and know where the nearest one is, before you need it.

·
Registered
300 Posts
im also hoping for a update that all is ok now.
to reinforce what Laco said - I have a card in my wallet with every single vet in my area. normal numbers and emergency numbers. Murphy's law just like to work that way that when there is a crisis ,it happens in the wee hours of the morning. and I would never forgive myself If I caused the worst because I could not get to a vet in time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol he's fine, it was my anxiety over reacting, we got a new puppy recently and the reason he was looking "poorly" was because he was feeling a little down, we showed him some love (even tho I was making sure he got the attention he needed from everyone, guess it wasn't enough) as I expected it was a piece of food stuck, he threw it up pretty much as soon as I posted this, he just wanted to throw up was all and couldn't.
The backwards sneezing is completely normal for max, we had that looked at by a vet a long while ago.
(My previous yorkie did it as well)
I tried to delete this before anyone replied as he was back to normal pretty quickly, even messaged an admin and no one replied...
I was about to call the vets too but he threw it up, it's all good.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Glad he is doing ok. That reverse sneezing seems to be more common in smaller breeds for some reason. Samantha will do that fairly often for a period of time, then not at all for months and months. Vet says nothing to worry about, at least with her, believe me he has examined her and tested her every way possible. She has been off and on doing this for the over seven years she has lived with us.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's very worrying when it first happens because you think there's something wrong! I know when our first yorkie started doing it I panicked!
I'm glad my GSD doesn't do it because I'm sure it's slightly painful / irritating.
Smaller dogs seem to have more health problems, I feel bad for them ?

·
Registered
83 Posts
It's very worrying when it first happens because you think there's something wrong! I know when our first yorkie started doing it I panicked!
I'm glad my GSD doesn't do it because I'm sure it's slightly painful / irritating.
Smaller dogs seem to have more health problems, I feel bad for them ?
Yeah backwards sneezing can be scary especially when it gets stuck. Our Shih Tzu Maxie does it from time to time..as far as smaller dogs having more health problems, tell me about it..our 13 year old Pom Mix Nemo has a lot of health problems..trachea collapse(Diagnosed in 2012) stomach issues, chronic colitis..diagnosed in April with Pulmonary Hypertension(probably a result from the trachea collapse, they usually get heart failure but of course Nemo had to be the 1 percent who gets the lung disease) he's doing OK but has been coughing more lately(dont want to give him the meds cause it will eventually ruin his stomach like it did the last time) so its just sad..small dogs are prone to health problems but so are big dogs, its always something :(

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Unfortunately all dogs seem to be prone to all kinds of malady's, some annoying, some very serious. Seems a lot of the larger dogs have hip problems, so sad to see them struggling to get around. Our little one has been fairly healthy, though she does have a trachea abnormality, its not bothering her, at least not now. She has a small liver, which an Internist she saw though could be that liver shunt, but further testing fortunately showed she just happens to have a very small fully functional liver. We changed her food to all fresh ingredients which after a year on it has virtually turned her into a different dog, more energy, more active, better appetite. I tell our Vet we want to keep her around for at least 50 years, I wish. She is 8.5 years now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts