Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i'm new here as a member, just visited without registering. I have 4 dogs, and my german/belgian sheperd, Sam, is breathing slightly faster than usual, i noticed that around 1 day ago and have been keeping an eye to other changes. She's eating/drinking normally, was very happy taking a walk today. Less than a week ago i noticed that her barking was hoarse, i connected that to some excessive barking at night (neighbors stops the car in front of my house but keep talking with the engine on, dogs bark at them), her barking is apparently getting back to normal, altough i'm keeping a closer eye just to be sure. I live in Brazil, south region, and lately there are some days that are very hot, followed by some very cold days since we're getting out of winter, i wonder if that could also have something to do with the barking/fast breathing, and i'm planning to get her to the vet if it doesn't improve, but would like to read some thoughts on it

·
Registered
357 Posts
No doubt there are a lot of things it could be. I'll relate two of my experiences.

I had a German Shepherd that passed two years ago. He started breathing more rapidly. I stupidly put it down to getting older and didn't think of needing a more thorough exam. It ended up being a sign of the cancer he had and by the time I found out he only lived another two weeks. He was so amazing and I still get tears whenever I think about him and I'm so sorry for letting him down and not noticing things sooner so that I could have done more for him.

Obviously that is more extreme and the heavier breathing is far more likely to be a minor issue, but it's worth knowing.

My second instance with heavier breathing was my current German Shepherd. I noticed at puppy play time that she got tired sooner than the other puppies and would stop playing. I only took vague note of it and really didn't think anything of it until she ended up with a fever and found out she had pneumonia.

She sometimes still randomly breathes heavier and not only at times that she's been running and playing. I'm far more attuned to her health now to the point that I wonder if I'm overreacting. But I guess it's better to be extra cautious than to miss something that could be a concern.

If the heavier breathing hasn't let up then it would be something I'd check too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How long is this fast breathing going for? does it go back to normal after a while or is it all the time? Is it hyperventilating? or less obvious?
It seems to be all the time, when it's resting it seems a little bit faster than usual, i noticed it 2 days ago, but it doesn't seem to be so strong at the point of hyperventilating (she isn't panting). Checked her gums/eyelids to see if they were blue-ish, but everything normal there too, also no difficulty in drinking/eating. She is randomly sneezing too, not too much

·
Registered
745 Posts
Ok, I would get her to the vet sooner rather than later if it was my dog. Especially if you've got 4 dogs coz if it's contagious they could all get it. Sounds like an upper respiratory infection starting to me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts