Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had a look at some available dog braces and they are interesting. I have a background in biomechanics and a particular interest in orthotics/prosthetics in humans. I'd like to take some of that interest and skills to help out animals, problem is I have very little idea of what's currently out there and if any special qualifications are needed. I'd also have to pursue it on a volunteer basis due to my visa.

I plan to ask my vet at our next visit and see if they can point me in the right direction. I'm less interested in treating, and more interested in the making of the devices.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
I was a Plastics Engineer by trade earlier in life, and stepped lightly into manufacturing prosthetics and such, part of me wishes I had gone into it fully. It would make for a fulfilling career watching the fruits of your labor lead a better life for a person or animal.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Really? How does the dog cope with them? It's hard enough to keep a child from pulling them out and be gentle with food.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Different braces, I mean mobility aids. There are doggy dentists that do braces though.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
There is a company called K9 Orthotics and Prosthetics Inc. with a very large variety of interesting mobility products.:thumbsup:
Their website is very informative on both prosthetics and orthotics.....

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Reactions: Chas

·
Registered
28 Posts
I second Lsnrhodes on the Ortocanis mobility aids. They manufacture lots of their own different products for disabled dogs.. not any cheap knockoff products coming from China that come undone after a few days or weeks of use.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts