Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My dog, Mo, is a 13 year old Labrador who has begun the slow decline of the hindend fairly typical to large breeds. He blew out his cruciate and meniscus May 2013 which has helped the degeneration along. As of now he gets around perfectly well, although the long recovery from the knee injury has led to a bit more muscle wasting than we would like to see. Per the vet's instructions I am walking him regularly for appropriate distances and he is on meds for arthritis.

However, I live in MN and am concerned about the coming winter's inevitable ice. He really cannot be slipping around on his back end for obvious reasons, so I am considering boots or something along those lines. I've listed a couple options I found below, does anyone have any experience with any of them? Or are there better options you are aware of?

Ruffwear Polar Trexâ„¢ Dog Boot - Singles

Amazon.com : Musher's Secret Pet Paw Protection Wax (200 g) : Pet Supplies

Our Story: A new solution to stop dog injuries from slipping

Thank you for your input!

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Two things I can recommend. First is green mussels. This is the dog formula but I just get the human one from Swansons. The dosage is 15 mg per pound. They have made a huge difference in my hound after he hurt his knee.
Amazon.com : Super Snouts Lipped Mussel Powder Supplement, 3-Ounce : Pet Supplements And Vitamins : Pet Supplies
http://www.swansonvitamins.com/swan...een-lipped-mussel-freeze-dried-500-mg-60-caps
I have never had much luck with the boots. Keeping them on is a hassle. I lost a few in the snow. What I did for my dogs that had that problem is when I walked them I used another leash which I looped around the back end of the dog right at the hips. You hold both leashes together and it keeps the back end stable.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, I will look into the mussels and see if it is safe to add onto what he is already getting.

Hrm. I will think about the leash, although I am not sure how comfortable that will be for either of us on a 20 minute 1/2-3/4 mile walk. Or if my reaction time is quick enough to keep him from slipping at all, yeah I can keep him from falling, but probably not from slipping/sliding... Thank you for your suggestions!

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
I know @TiggerBounce has boots for Tigger. She may have some suggestions on which ones to use and how to teach your dog to leave them alone.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you! Hopefully she has a good brand or some suggestions. There is some ability to modify the boots a bit on my end too, so that is a possible option with the Ruffwear or any other boots.

Thankfully he won't bother them :) We've long since worked out any issues with bothering things that he isn't supposed to bother.

I should add that he will only be wearing these when out walking around on ice/snow, not indoors at all, and not for extended periods of time. We're looking at 20-30 min walks or so.

He still gets around very well, the supplements he is on, along with the pain drugs have helped immensely. He walks, trots, and even runs a couple times a day generally. Sneaks up stairs when he moves faster than I do and just needs a little help getting into the car. We (vet and I) are just concerned that he could do a real amount of damage if he slipped badly this winter, but we don't want to put him on lockdown as that will obviously be very detrimental to his arthritis and muscle tone.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Hi there :)

We use RuffWear GripTrex. It's primarily for protection from hot ground, sharp rocks and cactus. I don't have first hand with the polar trex, but I can at least vouch that the quality of Ruffwear products is really good. The boots are very sturdy and stay on well if they're cinched up tightly. I didn't really do any CCing or anything to them. Just put them on and started hiking. He walked funny at first, but he eventually learned that the boots going on means hiking, so I don't think he minds them too much and he doesn't pick them off.

Unrelated to boots, but you might want to look into this for him too: Therapeutic mesh dog blankets, covers

I know the cold weather can be pretty hard on dogs with joint problems. The back-on-track products have a pretty good reputation for helping with joint and muscle soreness, at least in the sport dog circle.

Also one other thing to maybe look into that might help, again unrelated, is another ruffwear harness: Ruffwear DoubleBackâ„¢ Harness | Strength-Rated Harness for Dogs

Several of the reviews say they've used this for assisting elderly or recovering dogs up/down and around.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you! I will look into the covers. Our shop does a lot of fabric work and my dad was pretty sure we could work the Polar boots to stay on, which was the biggest problem in the reviews. I am thinking they might be a good shot. He wore a brace while recovering from his knee issue, so I think he will be fine with the boots.

Someone else recommended the harness to me as well, he is not quite to the harness point yet, but I am thinking of getting one now so we have it on hand when it becomes necessary.

Right now he is on:
Recovery SA
Wellactin
Vitamin C
Hyaluronic Acid

He also has a special made bed that is 6" thick of eggshell foam. He loves it, whenever we travel it comes along with us!

I emailed my vet about the green mussels too. Obviously he is an old boy and there is only so much I can do, but I would like to do as much as I can.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I emailed my vet about the green mussels too. Obviously he is an old boy and there is only so much I can do, but I would like to do as much as I can.
A lot of dogs are on a glucosamine formula and the green mussels replace that because there is glucosamine and chondroitin in the mussels. You might want to email the studies to the vet.
SUPER SNOUTS … Clinical Trials

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you! I had looked at those studies yesterday, I also emailed the company to see if they had the data on the gauranteed analysis of the amounts of glucosamine and chondroitin in the mussels too. If it's safe to add I will go ahead and add it, otherwise I will determine if it is better than what I am currently giving him. I don't want to take him off of something that is working arbitrarily.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts