Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's getting cold where I am and I have noticed that a few times on the coldest days on walks, my puppy will lift her paws as if they are cold and want to turn around. I'm happy to oblige and go home, but I know that we have some much colder days ahead of us and would like suggestions for the best dog boots/socks.

Maia is a pittbull/terrier/boxer/everything cross, currently 40 lbs with fairly long nails. She doesn't like boots that have a narrow entry and we tried the rubber socks and her nails popped through almost immediately.

What do people use or recommend?

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I'm a big fan of this. It's not going to protect in extreme temps, but I use it on my Aussie (and will use it on my BC this winter).

I used it last year since we were getting winters with the coldest being around -35 to -30 with the wind chill, using this stuff prevents snowballs from forming, and I haven't seen him lift his paws once. It also helps protect against that nasty salt stuff they put on the roads/sidewalks.

Reactions: TruckersMom

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
The rubber boots were the only ones that actually stayed on my dog's feet. Have you tried putting baby socks on and then the boots? That should help prevent tearing.

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
I used these https://dogbooties.com/ They are cheap and easy to put on the dog. I used these for a different purpose but they would work in the cold of winter.

Shandula's mention of Musher's Secret is a good one and works well as described. One might be a bit careful after applying it to their dog's pads before going outside, if you have any slippery floors.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Shandula's mention of Musher's Secret is a good one and works well as described. One might be a bit careful after applying it to their dog's pads before going outside, if you have any slippery floors.
Does it leave their pads more slippery after? As it is our dogs slide around our floor a lot when they jump off the couch or run while playing.

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
Does it leave their pads more slippery after? As it is our dogs slide around our floor a lot when they jump off the couch or run while playing.

After you apply it, before your trek outside. Once you come back, it does not seem to be an issue in my experience.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts