Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought a bunch of dog books at a yard sale. I immediately thought of DF skimming through some of them as several of the training books should be called guides on how to punish your dog. There's a part about smacking/hitting your dog with a newspaper and a part about smacking and punishing a dog for showing aggression. O.O

·
Registered
298 Posts
Methods for training have difinatly changed for the better. It is so much better having a dog obey out of love and admiration for you rather than out of fear.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was slightly surprised by how much a couple of these books discuss punishing the dog. Punish for this. Punish for that. Punish for this. Smacking and hitting a dog is very much a part of housetraining in several of the books as well. One was from the mid 90s I believe. Fairly recent.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I bought a vintage novel by Albert Payson Terhune. I thought it was really cool because I love Collies and it was a first edition. I couldn't read past the first few pages because they were constantly drowning puppies and even though it was fiction, I couldn't take it.

Times sure have changed, though we still have a long way to go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts