Dog Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been using these for a lil over a year now and i think they are awesome, i started after my dogs last professional dental cleaning and its that time again of year to get that done again and they seem to have less tartar then they did before and has seemed to accumulate slowly. I feed each dog 1 cet and 1 greenie every day.
Anyone else have experience with these? Or better ones?

I got them a new one this time along with these, the bag arrived today and they like it (pic below/ 1 bag pic)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,649 Posts
How long do they take to chew them? I think that's a good measure.

I'm currently feeding fish skins which take about 15 minutes.

·
Registered
122 Posts
my girls like the dentastyx too, i don't do the greenies bc I'm a clean freak and i hate the green rubbing off everywhere.lol

·
Registered
492 Posts
I wont feed the dental chews since my dog got the large greenie stuck in his throat choking.
The chews that reach his back teeth that he actualy chews properly is pigs ears.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How long do they take to chew them? I think that's a good measure.

I'm currently feeding fish skins which take about 15 minutes.
They dont take long unfortunately
Within a half hr , prly less

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wont feed the dental chews since my dog got the large greenie stuck in his throat choking.
The chews that reach his back teeth that he actualy chews properly is pigs ears.
That’s scary. Ive never fed them pig ears before. They have had some kind of bones that in my eyes looked and smelled awful, it has something on it not sure what and i don’t remember what kind of bone it was, but it made a big mess. I have gotten them marrow bones and they like them and it keeps them busy for long while and they dont make a mess. A friend suggested when they lose interest in marrow bones to put them in boiling water with a bouillon cube

·
Registered
492 Posts
That’s scary. Ive never fed them pig ears before. They have had some kind of bones that in my eyes looked and smelled awful, it has something on it not sure what and i don’t remember what kind of bone it was, but it made a big mess. I have gotten them marrow bones and they like them and it keeps them busy for long while and they dont make a mess. A friend suggested when they lose interest in marrow bones to put them in boiling water with a bouillon cube

Pigs ears dont make a mess, theres no crumbly bits and they dont stain the carpet. You can get vegen ears too, they are shaped liked pigs ears.
For some unknown reason jesse ever since a puppy has never digested bones properly. He gets wind pain and constipated for a few days after having eithe marrow bone or lamb or beef brisket. Yet he has a raw diet with ground bone in eat and digests that realy well so go figure. I hadnt heard of the yak cheese either

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think anything over 20 minutes isn't bad for a chew.

Have you tried raw chicken wings too? They give a good clean.
I haven’t thats good to know though, thank you! I do also brush their teeth 1x a week and use a breath spray every day which helps. Prince just hates his teeth being brushed, i mean they all do but hes the worst for it so ive been tryin find and use good bones to help me further clean their teeth, and every year they get them done professionally.. though they are getting older now so idk how long they will be able to continue their dental cleaning bc they get put under. Do you know anything about that? I know they offer a blood screen test to test their organs the day of before their teeth get cleaned and i do the best one but i still worry.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pigs ears dont make a mess, theres no crumbly bits and they dont stain the carpet. You can get vegen ears too, they are shaped liked pigs ears.
For some unknown reason jesse ever since a puppy has never digested bones properly. He gets wind pain and constipated for a few days after having eithe marrow bone or lamb or beef brisket. Yet he has a raw diet with ground bone in eat and digests that realy well so go figure. I hadnt heard of the yak cheese either
I will look into pig ears also, i love havin options for them. Thank you
Glad u found something that he can digest.
Over the years ive tried so many bones and it was kind of a pain bc all three of the dogs are so different so I would buy bones and one dog would like it one dog would get sick over at the other dog didn’t like it it was all different every time so I got hard to keep track of what everybody liked and didn’t get sick, but on that note I like all their personalities it’s cool to see them being different side-by-side as I get to

·
Registered
492 Posts
Wow you look after your dogs well. Your dogs teeth would be cleaner than jesse my cat and mine combined. Ive seen in pets shops dental toys that are meant to clean while playing. I dont know if there a gimmick though

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow you look after your dogs well. Your dogs teeth would be cleaner than jesse my cat and mine combined. Ive seen in pets shops dental toys that are meant to clean while playing. I dont know if there a gimmick though
Thank you i try. I use to brush every day but that slipped up to one week. Ive also tried to water additives but the dogs wont drink the water with that stuff in it.
Not sure, I haven’t trued any but have seen some also.
When i first got their teeth done professionally the dogs teeth were white again like when they were puppies it was so unexpected, i was so impressed. Hoping that happens again lol
They have some tartar on them not definitely not white like puppy. They are 1 is 9yr and other turns 9 in October and other will be 7 in august (got that one when he was 2yr/other two when babies)

·
Super Moderator
1,649 Posts
There is a product called Dentasept, it puts a protective coating on the teeth so you could apply that after their next professional clean (if there is one).

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There is a product called Dentasept, it puts a protective coating on the teeth so you could apply that after their next professional clean (if there is one).
I will look into that thank you

1 - 16 of 16 Posts