Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I recently came across a body condition scoring sheet for dogs, and I thought it might be helpful to have on here. Here it is.

Since weight is the most common problem in dogs, I recommend you check your dog regularly.

I hope this helps!

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Nola's between thin and ideal.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Nice chart! Katie is between 2 & 3. Her ribs and especially her spine are very easily palpable, but her hip bones are noticeable (very much so the week after grooming). Her vet is happy with her condition and just said we can be free with treats and extra food (for now...we'll see what happens as she gets older).

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Our clinic keeps these in all of the exam rooms, too. You'd be surprised how many people have no concept of what good body condition in animals is. (Actually, many of our members here wouldn't be surprised....)

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Our clinic keeps these in all of the exam rooms, too. You'd be surprised how many people have no concept of what good body condition in animals is. (Actually, many of our members here wouldn't be surprised....)
No, not surprised. There was a lab on our walk the other day and the poor guy was barely walking- he was SO overweight. When Nyla and him were greeting eachother, she was kind of excited but all he could do is wag his tail. His owner was talking to me saying that he's not very energetic like her. Umm... I wonder why!!!!! He looked 40lb over weight!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Nice chart! I learned a different way since my dog is very fluffy. You basically use the feel of your fist in comparison to your dog's rib. If their ribs feel like the: Back of your hand- chubby, Knuckles- too thin, Fingers- just right :)

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Nola's condition:

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, not surprised. There was a lab on our walk the other day and the poor guy was barely walking- he was SO overweight. When Nyla and him were greeting eachother, she was kind of excited but all he could do is wag his tail. His owner was talking to me saying that he's not very energetic like her. Umm... I wonder why!!!!! He looked 40lb over weight!
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree, it bugs me so much when there are heavy labs. I own a labrador retriever who is in perfect condition according to this sheet, and I don't like the way that fat has become the norm for labs. Whenever anyone sees my lab they say she's skinny and give me a sideways glance. It makes me very exasperated that they appear to think I mistreat her/don't feed or exercise her right just because they have a fat lab. :eyeroll:

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Between 2-3. Ribs partly visible,more visible in movement,spine and hips are not. I rather like the conditioned or working dog weight myself. Aslong as they still have muscle and the basic body fat all dogs naturally have.
Most dogs I see are sadly overweight.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
I think people have forgotten that dogs are suppose to have waists, I was on the high street and I saw an old lady sitting outside a cafe feeding her barking overweight cavalier cake!!

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Cake?! Sugar is so bad for dogs, they don't process it nearly as easily as humans do. (And it's not that great for us, either.)

Kabota is 2, but that's deliberate. The vet wants him lean to keep the pressure off his bad hip. Visually he looks fat due to all his fluffy fur, so I use the feel method.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Nice chart! I learned a different way since my dog is very fluffy. You basically use the feel of your fist in comparison to your dog's rib. If their ribs feel like the: Back of your hand- chubby, Knuckles- too thin, Fingers- just right :)
I use this method too!

At work I would say well over half of the dogs that come in are much too overweight. I kid you not, I have seen a 60 lb. (believe it was a little over 60) beagle!! It reminded me of a little tick, the poor thing. It had rolls on it's tail :( overweight labs are all too common as well.

The sad part for me is these people think they're keeping their dog happy by letting it stay inside and eat all the fancy treats they want (like some people would be) but they don't realize a dog would be much happier with a routine exercise program instead.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I use this method too!

At work I would say well over half of the dogs that come in are much too overweight. I kid you not, I have seen a 60 lb. (believe it was a little over 60) beagle!! It reminded me of a little tick, the poor thing. It had rolls on it's tail :( overweight labs are all too common as well.

The sad part for me is these people think they're keeping their dog happy by letting it stay inside and eat all the fancy treats they want (like some people would be) but they don't realize a dog would be much happier with a routine exercise program instead.
I have seen one beagle in good shape in real life. I see him all the time, being walked. I think those two things may be connected.

I've never seen a lab in good condition irl, except for stringbean adolescents. Who then become ticklike adults.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
wow I didn't know beagles were known to get fat, I knew about the labs thought. My sister bragged about how muscular and fit her beagle is and he is gorgeous. She exercises him a lot.

·
Registered
875 Posts
People keep telling me that Talos is thin, but I think he's perfect (and so does his vet). When I try to explain that large breed puppies must be kept lean so they don't have too much stress on their joints, I usually get confused looks and then "But I can see his little waist. Maybe more treats for such a cute puppy! I feed my dog burgers. Blah blah blah".

Silly people. -.-

·
Registered
393 Posts
People keep telling me that Talos is thin, but I think he's perfect (and so does his vet). When I try to explain that large breed puppies must be kept lean so they don't have too much stress on their joints, I usually get confused looks and then "But I can see his little waist. Maybe more treats for such a cute puppy! I feed my dog burgers. Blah blah blah".

Silly people. -.-
You'd be so surprised the foods I see people bring their dogs at work!! SO many of them eat better than I do (and actual human food), I get a little jealous! Hahaha.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
I love the excuse, he's an older dog that's why he's getting fat. Uh no, it's quite possible to have an old dog and not have it fat, just adjust the food to it's energy level and exercise it even if that exercise is only a short walk or two.

Shadow's 17 years old and is between a 2 and 3. I keep him on the thin side because he is getting arthritis and it's slowly getting worse. He does still love his evening walk, he like to shuffle or trot (depends on how he's feeling) down the road and smell all the scents.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts