Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
. I have a 6-month-old female dog who was spayed around 2 months of age by the place I got her from( it was a rescue). She is like every other puppy who is going through teething and I understand that. She used to bite a lot when I got her at 2 months but she doesn't bite as much. She plays bites me when we are playing so I understand that and hopefully, she will grow out of that. Ok, so if you read this far thank you but I just had to give a little backstory. When we go out on walks she will randomly get super hyper and start barking and jumping at me wanting to bite me, this will happen around 2 times every walk.
Our walks are around 1 hour and we go around the park and I let her off-leash sometimes to run She also has these attacks before and after she exercises( she has a lot of energy that when she always gets home she falls asleep so I know it's not me needing to empty her energy). She has these attacks off-leash and with the leash. She is a 38-pound puppy who will grow out to be around 60 pounds maybe. so she is getting bigger and I want to correct this behavior before she gets bigger. she is small enough right now that I can grab her and hold her in place and wait 2 minutes for her attack to go away but after getting a bit a lot, I have to grab her by the collar and make her sit. ( I don't scream at her when doing this or yell). I have tried everything pretty much, bringing a toy( she just ignore the toy and goes for my hand), bringing treats to reward her behavior when she is just walking, I read on pages that you have to turn around and ignore your dog but I can't do that because she bites my legs and jumps at me from behind. She moves her tails thinking I'm playing when she attacks me just in case anybody wanted to know, she doesn't growl or anything, she just jumps and bites me.

I take her on 3 walks a day each 1 hour, she is very friendly with other dogs and strangers. She is like any other dog being a dog. But this behavior is very frustrating, I can't properly enjoy walks with her unless I have to be always alert when she will attack. I have to always be on my toes when I walk her. She only does this on walks not inside. I don't punish her for this behavior by hitting or yelling, that's just not me( maybe I should I don't know I'm here for help). She is also a very very picky eater and won't eat kibble alone unless I mix in salmon, beef, or other yummy things. She has been like this since she was 2 months when I got her, I figured then that she will grow out of it and I could just pick her up since she was like 13 pounds. now she is 36 and I can still do it but after a couple of bites. Any tips or suggestions on how I can discourage this behavior.

·
Super Moderator
1,878 Posts
I wonder if she is over stimulated? I think you are doing too much walking - it is only a guide but a puppy should only be walked for about 5 minutes per month of age, twice a day. So, that's about two walks of 30 minutes, a lot less than you are doing. This is because their bones are still developing and their growth plates haven't closed. I appreciate you want to tire her, but doing training or things like scent work are far more tiring for dogs because it tires their brain.

I'd work at home on training her to carry something in her mouth. Because the easiest way to stop a behaviour is to as for a different one, that your dog can't do at the same time. So if she has a toy to carry, she can't bite you. I'd also work on a sit and a down - and make these things really well rewarded because you want them to be a far better option for her than the fun of jumping and biting at you. So, before she starts to get jumpy and bitey (there will be subtle signs) ask her to hold her toy and go into a sit.

Another really useful thing to train is impulse control, I definitely recommend using that. This video explains it well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts