Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm new to this forum. I have a 2 year old dog. He's is part dalmatian. All his vaccinations are up to date.

He is overly obsessed with food. He isn't attached to anyone but food. I once went for a week long trip and when I came back he just sniffed if i have food on me and went away. He does the same with other family members. His only concern is food.

My dad passed away in May and he had no reaction to it. Since June he started getting aggressive towards my sister. She tried to feed him but after getting the food he growls aggressively. He has bitten her and my mom twice. If my sister even tries to go near him, he will bite. He will even bite me if try calming him down when sis is around

We don't have many visitors come home. But every now and then when someone comes he barks furiously foaming in the mouth and if I stand close to him, he will bite. It's like he will bite anything and everything close to him when he sees a stranger.

I take him out for walks everyday and he is well behaved then. He obeys commands and acts like a normal dog. There are times when he tries to pull the leash away when he sees another dog and gets aggressive and i make sure to let him know then and there that the behavior is not acceptable.

Any advice?

·
Registered
298 Posts
I would get some tests done by a vet to make sure there is not any under laying conditions. Also what type of food is the dog on?

May be a smart idea to buy him a muzzle. This sounds real tough. I wish you good luck.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Biting you when he is in an aggressive state is displaced aggression. The dog is so worked up he'll bite anything, he also sounds food aggressive. But his case sound pretty bad. Get him vet cleared and look into a behaviorist.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Please contact a veterinary behaviorist for a consult. I'd get bloodwork done and they would be able to give you a protocol for behavior modification. Or get him checked out by a regular vet medically and contact a certified dog trainer who specializes in behavior modification using non aversive methods.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 4 of 4 Posts