Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me preface by saying, my dog is the most well behaved and patient dog I’ve ever encountered.

She has puppies a few weeks ago and behaviorally she hasn’t been her best. She’s very protective and territorial which I know is normal. Combine this with summer and random kids in and out of the house to see our teens (mom and puppies are in our room exclusively) has left quite a recipe of anxiety reactivity.
Until today, we have been able to manage it well. She’s fine with family, other pets, etc.

However, today when I was going to walk her, 2 12 year old kids Walked into my home without knocking. They were making a lot of noise and screaming and yelling and I think it put her on the defensive. She chased them and when they were running out, she grabbed one of their pants which tore their pant leg. No injuries. No skin.

I spoke with the kids and told them that it’s rude to enter someone’s home without knocking and I reached out to their parents And explained what happened(parents were apologetic and I know one got grounded) , but I can also see how this could be a safety issue. What obligations do I have here? I already told my kids this summer is outside play only and I intend on buying smart locks that I can open and close remotely so I can control access the house.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are the puppies still in the home, how old are they?
yes. They’re only 3 weeks. she is USUALLY very well behaved, listens to commands and is very confident and well behaved. No barking or growling etc. she’s well socialized and friendly

·
Super Moderator
5,229 Posts
I would say then, that this is a one-off set of circumstances and I wouldn't fret too much. The fact she didn't actually bite the kids shows a level of restraint, she will be super-protective of her puppies, her hormones will be all over the place, the ”intruders” were unknown to her - when you lay it out like that, it sounds like what any new mother would do. Like you said, help her feel safe for the next month or so and hopefully she will forget it too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts