Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, fed my cross breed small terrier science plan since she was a pup. She's nearly 3 now and at the start of the month we decided to change her diet. We decided on Wainwrights and have a mixture of the wet and dry foods. But also different flavours of them. We gradually changed her over and after about a week she was just on Wainwrights. We give her wet in a morning and dry if she's still hungry later. The issue is she's been sick about 4 times in 3 weeks since the changeover, do you think it's just her getting used to it or is it because we mix wet and dry and also different flavours of them? She loves the wet food by the way so would like to keep her on it!

Sorry for the overly long post! Any advice appreciated!

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Wainwrights is a very high quality food! Only reason i know this is because when i visited Uk and saw my best friend she had her dog on supermarket junk and i helped her and her dog get the best quality food possible. Wainwrights have very good ingredients her dog is on the turkey no more diareha or anything and eating!

What flavor dry food is she on and what flavors wet food? and her treats what are they and flavor?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dry food flavour is currently salmon and potato and we get the different wet ones. So for example she might eat turkey and rice wet trays for 4 days and when she's finished that we'll give her a different flavour one for the next few days. Could that be causing her to be sick?

Thanks

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
The dry food flavour is currently salmon and potato and we get the different wet ones. So for example she might eat turkey and rice wet trays for 4 days and when she's finished that we'll give her a different flavour one for the next few days. Could that be causing her to be sick?

Thanks
So salmon is quite rich? i think for now you need to stick with only one food either wet or dry and see how she does first. Feeding dry and raw/wet can be ok but im not sure all dogs tolerate it. @TiggerBounce you might know more?

So go back to basics with just one type of food for say 3-6 weeks see what happens then slowly introduce say the wet version say turkey bit by bit and see what happens if that made her sick dont give it and so on. Also try get matching treats same protien

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I believe the wet food is canned? Also sick as in diarrhea or vomiting? Is she acting differently otherwise? If so, try a longer period of transition with only 1 flavour over the course of say a month. You're feeding a new food, which can cause upset, and then changing it on her pretty frequently. Most dogs need a much longer, 7-10 days transition from even different flavours of the same line.

If she's acting lethargic or the diarrhea/vomiting hasn't resolved you need to take her into the vet to get checked.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi, thanks for the replies. As crazy says they are trays.

It had up until last night just been vomiting although I awoke in the early hours this morning to what looked like diarrhoea :/

She is acting perfectly line apart from that. I'll stick to one flavour of the trays and see how she gets on, I thought coming off Science Plan would be a good thing for her!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts