Dog Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys ,

my mom has a new dog , he's a 8 months old Yorkshire terrier who's really friendly and affectionate but he bites ( playful) her feet all the time and he won't stop no matter what , which gets painful sometimes.
also im moving in with my mom and i have a dog myself a Yorkshire terrier she's about 6 years old and she's not very good around dogs due to previous experiences , she likes her space , and my moms new Yorkshire terrier won't leave her alone at all , he doesn't leave her to eat , walk or even nap , he always wanting to play and its always a bit aggressive for her and we don't know what to do about that

we thought about getting him neutered , will that stop the biting and the kind of aggressive playing with other dog?
and i understand the benefits of getting a dog neutered but will that change he's personality ? , because he's a very friendly and an energetic dog and we would him to stay like that
any tips on how to teach the new dog to leave the old one alone would be nice

Many Thanks

·
Registered
102 Posts
Although a lot of folks will have you believe that neutering is the solution to all dog problems - it is not. It may change some things - like running away, marking, etc - but not much more (not even mounting - once they like it, it's hard to stop). Of course there are exceptions to the rules, but this is what I have observed. The biting is from in-effective/or lack of training - and neutering will not correct it (re-direction is the answer for that - lots of YouTube videos on that).
Your dog should not have to be harassed by the little tyke - but unless you are going to keep them in separate areas of the house (keep yours with you most of the time - in your room) it will only make your dog more aggressive as time goes on, because he is trying to tell the little one to leave me alone - but puppies just don't always listen - especially ones that have not been given 'boundaries' at at early age...which it sounds like might be the case, with the nipping. My advice to work on training the little one and keep them separate most of the time until you start to see an improvement in the puppy's behavior.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts