Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, This is my first post here, hope I can get some suggestions. I recently added a 2nd dog to my family (which consisted of me and 2 yr old Jack Russell mix). The new addition is a 9 yr old Cocker Spaniel (male, fixed). They get along great. The new guy is calm during the day, but at night (when dog #1 conks out) he becomes a chewing fiend. He considers nothing off limits. If I give him rawhide or chew toys he is happy and gnaws on them until he destroys/finishes (he doesn't seem interested in anything he can't eventually devour) and then moves on to any food, trash, paper anywhere in the house (my briefcase, the counter, toilet roll etc...) I tell him no and try to put things out of his reach, but while he is easily redirected each time (zero aggression), he doesn't seem to get the message. This goes on from about 7 to 11pm when he conks out. I don't know what training he got in his former home but I need some advice! Does anyone have any suggestions and/or any idea why this only comes out at night?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Is it possible he's bored? I was warned before adopting that my dog would chew everything, and had torn apart a couch. Other than the stuffless animals I throw for her and a treat-filled Kong, she's never chewed on anything, but she gets a lot of exercise.

Maybe try playing with the terrier in the evening and really tire him out? You could give him a frozen Kong if he just needs to chew.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it possible he's bored? I was warned before adopting that my dog would chew everything, and had torn apart a couch. Other than the stuffless animals I throw for her and a treat-filled Kong, she's never chewed on anything, but she gets a lot of exercise.

Maybe try playing with the terrier in the evening and really tire him out? You could give him a frozen Kong if he just needs to chew.
Thanks for the suggestions , Cynna. I don't think it's boredom or lack of exercise, because it starts after I take them for an hour to the dog park. Which is enough to wear out the 2 yr old terrier, so it should be enough for a 9 yr old Cocker! (And also he's fine home alone during the day, which I when I would think he would get bored.) I will try a frozen Kong though

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Sounds like he may be attention seeking. After adding a new dog to the mix he might feel neglected. Like with kids negative attention is still attention.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You maybe right Dawn, although the dog with the night chewing mania is actually the new dog. It seems to be a bit better, not every night now. Still some nights (tonight) he just will not relax. a lot of panting and pacing too.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
When was he to the vet last? Thinking stress or pain related. He may have a little arthritis and is painful in the joints.
if you think it is painful joints try this. It did wonders for my hound. He went from barely being able to get up off the floor to running and moving easily again. The first one you can read about the product and purchase from there. The second is where I get it. I like buying the human formula. It is the same thing. I got the suggested amount to take off the dog site.
SUPER SNOUTS ? JOINT POWER INFORMATION
Swanson Premium New Zealand Green Lipped Mussel, Freeze Dried 500 mg 60 Caps - Swanson Health Products

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He actually just got a clean bill of health from the vet and he runs fine, definitely not arthritic. I wonder if it might be overheating--not that it's hot here but since it starts when we come back from the dog park, do you think he might be over-exerted? The panting seems to fit, although since it's not hot (not cold either, we are in Louisiana, USA) I didn't think of it before.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm coming back to this because it hasn't gotten much better--Baxter is a big teddy bear all day, and then in the evening, after ample exercise, he gets crazy. Chewing, panting, knocking things over. HELLPPP!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm coming back to this because it hasn't gotten much better--Baxter is a big teddy bear all day, and then in the evening, after ample exercise, he gets crazy. Chewing, panting, knocking things over. HELLPPP!!!
Maybe he's overexercised? Have you tried shortening his exercise time?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now I'm coming back with "the answer"--just in case any one else reading is in a similar situation. It was definitely over-exercise. We've been going for walks in the evening instead of the dog park and the issue has gone away. Of course now I feel bad for not taking the 2 yr old to the dog park... Anyway, thanks to all for suggestions!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.