Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my dog hates having baths shes petrified i am washing her in a min can you help me she wont let me near her body expeshally her face any help to get her in the bath coz she growls and scratches like mad and then jumps out (or tries to) any one help me?:)

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
My dog is really scared of baths too-but loves swiming *rolls eyes*

At first we'd get right in the tub and one of us would hold him and one of us would bath and it was still a workout and a half.

I decided to try how the dog whisperer would do it. It took a very long time!

I made him get in the tub on his own. When he made a move to get out, instead of holding on to him physically I just blocked him and said no. Then when he calmed, I turned the water on. Continue blocking and wait for him to calm. Then make the water come out of the shower head, continue blocking and wait for him to calm.

It was a long ordeal. And he still doesn't like being bathed, but he gets right in the tub (even runs to the bathroom after a swim or getting muddy), and stands patiently (Albeit grumpily) while I bathe him :) And treats afterwards of course :)

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I agree with Crio it is not a quick fix but I have done it myself with one of my dogs. How old is the dog? Is it a rescue? How long has the issue been going on? I would not force the dog into the tub it won't help

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
How did you introduce her to a bath the first time? Was it you or a groomer?

I say you need to slowly introduce her to water again, maybe run the faucet in the tub and give her a treat for sitting at the doorway, and slowly get her closer, treating each time she gets close and ignores the running faucet. I would not force her into the bath instead get her to maybe drink from the running water and let her get in herself. If she does not want to get in the tub then just slowly wet parts of her down and give her treats for allowing it. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
How did you introduce her to a bath the first time? Was it you or a groomer?

I say you need to slowly introduce her to water again, maybe run the faucet in the tub and give her a treat for sitting at the doorway, and slowly get her closer, treating each time she gets close and ignores the running faucet. I would not force her into the bath instead get her to maybe drink from the running water and let her get in herself. If she does not want to get in the tub then just slowly wet parts of her down and give her treats for allowing it. Does that make sense?

^^^ this!

this is the right way to do it, but as you can see its tons of baby steps, and if you go to far too fast you will have to start over.

That reminds me I need to go through all that nonsence with the vacuum, no problems with baths here.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
^^^ this!

this is the right way to do it, but as you can see its tons of baby steps, and if you go to far too fast you will have to start over.

That reminds me I need to go through all that nonsence with the vacuum, no problems with baths here.
Thanks I learned from the best ;) I hope the OP keeps us up to date on the progress with this one!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts