Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi! I have an 8 month old mini longhaired dachshund who barks constantly while I'm at home with her, but is fine when I leave her alone at home. A little bit of background:

I take her out every morning for about 1.5 hours during which we meet with a small group of 4 other dogs, where we do a combination of on-leash walking, off-leash exploring and basic obedience training. I feed her all her meals from a kibble ball. I work from home, so throughout the day I will walk her 2 more times (about 15 mins each) and also engage in 5 minute training sessions about 3 times a day.

The problem is in-between all that interaction, when I need some time alone to work, she will constantly bark for attention. As long as I am home, she refuses to take a nap and all she wants to do is engage. Sometimes I will go and work at a coffee shop nearby and watch her on a camera, where she can nap for 3-4 hours straight in the afternoon. She basically has the opposite of separation anxiety: she barks when I'm at home, but is quiet when I'm out. I've tried click-and-treating for moments while she is quiet at home (which is VERY RARE) but it doesn't seem to work. I also always make sure I ignore her barking for attention but she seems relentless and sometimes can spend up to 30 minutes barking/whining directly at me.

Any tips?

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
You could also try giving her a long lasting chew or treat to occupy her.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts