Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog and I attended a lot of dog training classes, because I was a first time dog owner with no prior experience and she is the world’s best red heeler (according to my non-biased opinion). I take her with me almost any place that will let me. Whenever she feels uncomfortable she’d hackle and I know to remove us from that situation, very rarely happens when we’re out. She doesn’t bark when we’re at places like Home Depot, or any pet store. But when we’re home and there’s people at the house she’d bark at them. It especially happens more now because we’re renevating our home and there’s workers here to help us. Is this something that can be fixed with time and effort or should I seek professional help?

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
Strangers on home turf brings the best out in many a dog and some expected behaviors as well. They can be territorial, mine sure is.

I've taught mine to down/place in a specific spot(s) when people come over, the ones she knows, she only has to stay placed for a short bit and then I release her to go visit. At other times, she has to stay put until they leave or otherwise. You can do this yourself as I don't think it requires a professional, it's just an indefinite down/stay with a specific target area where you want the dog to place itself per your command. Use a unique command, so the dog associates the command with the specific area and action you want the dog to perform. I use "mark" (many use "place") but it's of no concern. I bet you could teach your dog how to do this fairly quick via luring/reward approach since you have the world's best red heeler:) It seems to me, once the dog is on a place command, they usually don't bark. But, I ironed the barking thing out before training the place command.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Not surprising that she barks at strangers working on your house. That is her territory and she feels obligated to protect it as best she can. My guess is as the remodel progresses, she will at least to some degree acclimate to strangers in HER house.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Follow up question; my sister’s family came over and my dog barked at them once they stepped in the house, scaring my youngest nephew. They then got along and everything was going swimmingly... Until I heard my dog bark and my nephew crying. How do I help her understand that barking at people who are in our home is different than those working outside it? What should I have done differently?

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
As I previously mentioned, you need to develop/train the obedience of the proper behavior you want when people are in your house. It doesn't happen on its own and if left unchecked your dog will continue the same behavior and could escalate into a bark and hold of sorts or more.

When my current dog started the behavior you are describing, I changed the "meet and greet" procedure. People entered the house with the dog outside and then entered the house tethered to me and wasn't allowed to meet anyone as the dog was under command ( this was important) as my dog was learning an appropriate replacement behavior. Once people settled in as well as the dog, I might release the dog to go get some sniffs in and I would leave a bowl of small treats on a table or two for my guests to offer my dog. I guess my thinking was, I wanted my dog to "see" these invaders of her home turf in a different light, they gave her treats rather than posing a potential threat or competition on her turf. FWIW, even though I use this notion of her "home turf" or territory, it's mine not hers and I expect and train accordingly to have her understand who "owns" everything in her life. Bottom line, there's no reason for her to protect/challenge/guard/herd anything in my presence unless directed to do as such. I truly believe once you have instilled this in your dog and the dog relies on and trusts you completely, the dog is so much more at ease and these type of problems vanish.

I don't know that much about Aussie cattle dogs but I could imagine they have some of the same innate characteristics as GSDs, which I am more familiar with. Your dog is probably just doing what it is hardwired to do and you need to train an acceptable alternative. Generally, when people come over, it's a fair amount of excitement for a dog and one needs to break the trend your dog is exhibiting. It's not that difficult it just takes consistency of steering your dog in the proper direction with appropriate reward to let the dog know they have done well.

I'm curious if your dog ever barks at people as they are leaving your house and/or if your dog might get up and follow any of your guests if they leave the general area you are all gathered such as someone getting up to go use the bathroom?

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Mine don't bark but they will just run up to people and lick them. I'm uncomfortable with that and some people are scared of huskies lol So what I make mine do is lay down(only in my house) tell I say okay and they get up then they have to ask me if they can get petted(this part they have to do out in public also). They look at me and look at the people sometimes they will paw the ground. Lol I would start obedience training your dog immediately practice makes perfect they don't just learn it. Try making them sit and tell them no when they are barking. You just need to teach barking and settling down

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As I previously mentioned, you need to develop/train the obedience of the proper behavior you want when people are in your house. It doesn't happen on its own and if left unchecked your dog will continue the same behavior and could escalate into a bark and hold of sorts or more.

When my current dog started the behavior you are describing, I changed the "meet and greet" procedure. People entered the house with the dog outside and then entered the house tethered to me and wasn't allowed to meet anyone as the dog was under command ( this was important) as my dog was learning an appropriate replacement behavior. Once people settled in as well as the dog, I might release the dog to go get some sniffs in and I would leave a bowl of small treats on a table or two for my guests to offer my dog. I guess my thinking was, I wanted my dog to "see" these invaders of her home turf in a different light, they gave her treats rather than posing a potential threat or competition on her turf. FWIW, even though I use this notion of her "home turf" or territory, it's mine not hers and I expect and train accordingly to have her understand who "owns" everything in her life. Bottom line, there's no reason for her to protect/challenge/guard/herd anything in my presence unless directed to do as such. I truly believe once you have instilled this in your dog and the dog relies on and trusts you completely, the dog is so much more at ease and these type of problems vanish.

I don't know that much about Aussie cattle dogs but I could imagine they have some of the same innate characteristics as GSDs, which I am more familiar with. Your dog is probably just doing what it is hardwired to do and you need to train an acceptable alternative. Generally, when people come over, it's a fair amount of excitement for a dog and one needs to break the trend your dog is exhibiting. It's not that difficult it just takes consistency of steering your dog in the proper direction with appropriate reward to let the dog know they have done well.

I will definitely do all of this!

I'm curious if your dog ever barks at people as they are leaving your house and/or if your dog might get up and follow any of your guests if they leave the general area you are all gathered such as someone getting up to go use the bathroom?
She barks when people come in the house and she doesn’t recognize them. She does stop barking once she sees that my family and I don’t treat them as a threat then she just lays down by me or is always by my side. She doesn’t follow any of my guests but when they do get up from sitting down she smells their butts. She doesn’t really care what the other people are doing, she usually just tries to stay with a family member. Unless one of our guests has a ball, then all of her attention is towards that ball. xD

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine don't bark but they will just run up to people and lick them. I'm uncomfortable with that and some people are scared of huskies lol So what I make mine do is lay down(only in my house) tell I say okay and they get up then they have to ask me if they can get petted(this part they have to do out in public also). They look at me and look at the people sometimes they will paw the ground. Lol I would start obedience training your dog immediately practice makes perfect they don't just learn it. Try making them sit and tell them no when they are barking. You just need to teach barking and settling down

When I tell her to ‘knock it off’ she quits barking, but I want her to stop barking at people whom I greet at the door. Don’t get me wrong, she loves my friends and she goes on her belly in a second. I tell my friends to tell her ‘off’ so that they don’t feel like they’re being suffocated by her, but also so she knows not to start licking someone in the face bc not everyone likes that.
And your huskies sound adorable!

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
I want her to stop barking at people whom I greet at the door.
Is your dog right at the door with you when you greet them? If so, train her to place/down/stay away from the door until you release her.

Your dog sounds pretty great with company except scaring your nephew but then again, dogs know how to work a crowd and seem to single out the ones who might be a bit scared at times. I have a nephew who is pretty much terrified of my dog and I just don't let my dog pay any "extra" attention to him, I'm sure my nephew appreciates it, he's just scared of bigger dogs and I respect that when he is at my house.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
When I tell her to ‘knock it off’ she quits barking, but I want her to stop barking at people whom I greet at the door. Don’t get me wrong, she loves my friends and she goes on her belly in a second. I tell my friends to tell her ‘off’ so that they don’t feel like they’re being suffocated by her, but also so she knows not to start licking someone in the face bc not everyone likes that.
And your huskies sound adorable!
Thank you and I second what @DriveDog said

1 - 10 of 10 Posts