Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first got my dog, Nutmeg, she was a very quiet dog and almost never barked. Now that about 7 months have gone by, she's started barking at passers-by a lot more than she used to.

This doesn't happen on walks, just at home when she looks out the window, hears an unfamiliar sound, or is standing on the balcony and sees people (especially people walking dogs) pass by. If I am right next to Nutmeg, she won't bark even then, but if I'm inside / in another room I'll get those barks.

Any thoughts on how I can discourage this new-found barking? I've tried bringing her inside whenever she barks like this, but the lesson hasn't sunken in ("if you bark you get pulled back inside instead of the more interesting outdoors").

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
It could be that she's really settled in now and feels comfortable. Try teaching her the quite command. If its largely at home I might be inclined to think that its normal alert barking of sorts. Which is not a bad thing as long as its not exsesive. I would try the quite command first so when she starts barking and you ask she will stop.
How old is she and what breed?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How old is she and what breed?
Nutmeg is about 13.5 months old and is a mixed-breed rescue dog. They think she's primarily a Brittany but I don't know what else may be in the mix.

I do think this is alert / territorial barking - I'll try the "quiet" command the next time she starts in with the barks.

Today I noticed something interesting - she hasn't been barking at passers-by. What's different? There's a guy doing construction work in my basement. He brought his dog, an aging lab/pit mix (which didn't upset Nutmeg at all - she was happy and friendly greeting this dog). Can the barks be made worse by boredom or loneliness? (Hopefully will get to the dog park tonight...)

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
For the first four months we had Samantha, we didn't think she even could bark. Then she started, a little barking when she saw something out the window. Now she barks whenever she sees, hears or smells something. Its just the nature of dogs, she became comfortable and very protective of her space. She will stop when told to stop, but it has no effect on the next time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts