Dog Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok let's see... the only thing that's really changed since February was that we opened up the gate, so he could go upstairs to our room if he needed us. We also changed his diet, and began to implement adult food with his puppy food. Taking it slow, no sudden changes. Last night we went back to the original gate location at the kitchen entryway, and he slept through the night, but that could be because the night before was so eventful LOL!

He will be 1 year on Friday :)

He is a Cavalier King Charles. I know they are dependent, however he hasn't displayed too many dependency issues, IE the sleeping hasn't been an issue, he prefers to sleep in the kitchen when given the choice.

While we do work during the day, we work from home, so he gets about 2 hours of daytime play spread out over the course of the day. IE - 9am-6pm it's a half hour here and there.

Evening: We play with him for another 2 hours spread over 6pm-12am. He also gets a 45 min walk around 9pm, when the sun has gone down and it's cool enough to go out.

We discussed the option of putting a bed in our room, but we're concerned that if he gets used to that, then going back to the kitchen will be much harder, given his breed is prone to dependency issues.

The ONLY thing that is maddening about all of this, is that it seems random. Last night was perfect, and he gave us NO trouble at all. But tonight? Who knows! We have also decided to try a white noise machine to help drown out any other noises. We were using the TV before, but I don't think it was doing enough.

·
Super Moderator
1,877 Posts
Good that you have a plan in place now. If it works, great but if you do need to have him in your room it doesn't have to be forever, you can move him, in steps, back to where you want him to sleep. That said, my dog decided a few months ago that he wanted to sleep next to my bed and I have to confess I rather like having him close!

21 - 22 of 22 Posts