Dog Forum banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Good to hear. Is she staying overnight or coming home later?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
if it was a normal spay she'd probably be back tonight, but probably because this was pyo related and she was sick prior, theyre going to keep her overnight

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
she's home now, was wagging her tail excited to see people though she mostly just wanted to lay down, she's on pain meds and anti-biotics now but she looks fine, just a bit cold so i have her covered up with a towel to keep warm, she wont eat dog food though, dry or canned, she will however eat canned pre-cooked fish, so is it fine to feed her canned salmon until she gets back more of an apetite before gradually reintroducing her back to her normal food?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
this is kind of off topic, but this surgery absolutely drained me, if it wasnt for gift certificates received at christmas and a cash gift to pay for the surgery i wouldnt even have been able to afford the $200 i had to pay to the animal shelter group who covered the rest of the costs

the dogs still need food and about all i have left besides food for myself is a $50 walmart gift certificate, so i will have to buy food from there.. my other dog has what i believe is a food allergy to either beef or grains... so any opinions on walmarts pure balance grain free salmon and pea, or limited ingredient turkey and potato? which would be better for a dog with allergies?

·
Registered
917 Posts
Glad to hear she is back home and feeling better. I was thinking about her earlier wondering how she was doing.
As to the food, I don't feed kibble. I raw feed my dogs. It's great for dogs with allergies too. So much easier to know exactly what they are getting. For kibble there is this site, Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
raw feed? do you have a simple recipe for that? i wonder how much it costs a month to do that for two basset hounds

·
Registered
10,646 Posts
What's the sodium content in the canned salmon? If it's low or no sodium then it's fine to feed it for the next few days although it's not nutritionally complete. You could also try offering her a few eggs, either cooked or raw, and see if she'll eat it. It's a lot healthier for her then the salmon is.

Pure Balance isn't the best but it's better them most of the other brands found in the supermarket. I used to give my dog their canned food as a topper for his kibble, the only reason I stopped was because I suspect my dog has a sensitivity to chicken.

How cheap it is to feed raw depends on what meat cost in your area, and if you have a PMR co-op in the area. You'd need a variety of proteins, for example chicken, beef, pork, access to organs like liver, lungs, green tripe, kidneys, and a chest freezer since you have two medium sized dogs and you'll want to buy in bulk since it's cheaper. The formula most raw feeders follow is 80% muscle meat, 10% organ, and 10% bone. You can also buy prepackaged raw but it does get very expensive. Going with a co-op like I mentioned means that the members get together and purchase a large amount of meat then share it between the members so that it comes out cheaper since it's being bought in bulk.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
ill have to look into that, but not right now, i do not intend on living where i am at for much longer... and i do have some excess eggs i probably wont have the chance to use up before they go bad.. maybe i should scramble them and mix them up with some rice.. shells too?

·
Registered
917 Posts
raw feed? do you have a simple recipe for that? i wonder how much it costs a month to do that for two basset hounds
There really aren't recipes for raw. 80% meat, 10% organs and 10% bone. I feed a mix of meats. Chicken, turkey, pork, beef, lamb, goat, veal, fish, rabbit, quail, duck, deer and any other meats I can get. Tonight was a mixed meal night, Freyja got a lamb bone and meat with some duck liver. Vegas and Shorty got a lamb bone with some beef liver, a bit of pork and a goat testicle. You want to feed about 2-3% of your dogs ideal body weight, but I find my dogs eat a bit less than that. Freyja only eats about a pound and a half a day, Shorty only needs around 8 ounces. I picked up a bunch of chicken today for .77/lb and beef for 3.00/lb along with some pork for just over a dollar per lb. I order the odder things online. Like green tripe, whole ground cow, duck heads and raw trachea. You would want to start with chicken. It's easy on most dogs. You'd feed that for a few weeks then add in a new protein. You want a little extra bone when you first start out, it will help keep their poop firm as their bodies adjust to the new food. I encourage people to switch to raw, but I'd probably wait until your girl is healed from her surgery.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
well, i dont realyl have the resources to do all that just yet, i just made up a big pan full of homemade food, it was chicken thighs and potatos.. she dove right into it and ate a bunch

·
Registered
917 Posts
You don't need to get all the odd stuff. Chicken, beef, pork and oily fish are a good staple, add in some turkey, veal and lamb once in a while and your good to go. All this I can find at my local grocery store. Duck and rabbit are also easy to find. But the more variety the better. If you know any hunters you can ask them for their leftovers/trim or freezer burnt stuff.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
i havent done much hunting in the past as i personally dont have much of a desire to eat rabbits, squirrels, duck, or other wild game, but i may consider getting into this more as a source of meat for dogs

right now though my dog scarfed down more of this homemade food than she ate the last 3-4 days prior to surgery, so this is obviously a very good sign

·
Registered
917 Posts
That is great that she is eating and on the mend.

I've wanted to take up hunting to help feed the dogs. Nevada my GSD who passed last year loved venison, rabbit, squirrel, pheasant and groundhog. Freyja has never had wild game, but the boys have had venison, rabbit and duck. The cats eat squirrel. Wild game is a great meat source, I wish I had more available here.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
well, i know if i was in a southern state id definitely be pig hunting since theres typically no bag limit on that.. id make sure the meat was cooked because im not a fan of giving my dogs trichinosis, but still, a lot of meat for cheap

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
hmm.. when i checked her incision this morning when i gave her an antibiotic, i heard sort of a fart sound and some brown ooze came out of the incision site.. how concerned should i be? overall her health has been improving rapidly

·
Registered
347 Posts
hmm.. when i checked her incision this morning when i gave her an antibiotic, i heard sort of a fart sound and some brown ooze came out of the incision site.. how concerned should i be? overall her health has been improving rapidly
Was/is there a bad smell as well? If not, probably nothing to worry about. Cuts will ooze a bit as they heal, just like a cut on you would. There is probably still some swelling from the surgery as well, as long as this is going down and she continues to improve I wouldn't worry. If it oozes a lot and/or smells bad I would call the vet and see what they think.

·
Registered
917 Posts
It the incision very swollen, red or warm/hot? How is she acting? Some gunk isn't unusual. If she is acting good, eating and it's not swollen and red I wouldn't worry. You could also call the vet if your worried.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
so heres an update, after 10 days after the spay she went back to have her stitches out and the vet said she didnt heal enough yet to have them taken out.. besides a small amount of ooze coming from the incision, she looks bigger, not sure if she's bloated or packing on weight that fast (she's been eating like a pig).. but today she also threw up again... im not sure what to make of it

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
so heres an update, after 10 days after the spay she went back to have her stitches out and the vet said she didnt heal enough yet to have them taken out.. besides a small amount of ooze coming from the incision, she looks bigger, not sure if she's bloated or packing on weight that fast (she's been eating like a pig).. but today she also threw up again... im not sure what to make of it
id get a second opinion of it doesnt seem right. maybe cut back on amount of food giving her too for now

41 - 60 of 66 Posts