Dog Forum banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
I think that is called an open pyo. That is good because it lets it drain, otherwise it can go bad fast. I really hope everything works out for you and you dog. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
they said the dog should be able to have surgery tomorrow.. vet said her condition isnt THAT serious because theres drainage (i can smell it), and she's on anti-biotics to slow it down until surgery
Sounds like you are on the right track with her. Hope all goes well, let us know.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Hope your mom is doing ok, it seems like it's all or nothing. Try to stay positive, it will help you all.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
i got an update on my mothers condition, doctors say she has an infection.. when it rains it really pours.. and this is only 7 months after my dad died of a sudden heart attack... this last year for me has been the worst ever

·
Registered
368 Posts
Well, if it's any consolation, $400 is amazingly cheap for such a surgery in this area (more like $2000 around here). Pyometras are very serious and can easily end badly if you don't get surgery, but in the mean time your dog at least needs antibiotics if nothing else (though rarely does that actually fix the problem). ... and kudos to Annageckos for figuring it out ahead of time!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
actually, throughout the day on anti-biotics some of her symptoms seemed to have lessened.. though im sure the surgery will still be necessary (isnt it always in this case?).. she does seem somewhat less bloated though but she's been leaking like a sieve, i have to keep washing her bedding to try to get the smell of pus out of the air

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
So sorry to read all this and that your dog is having emergency spay. please keep us updated. Glad i got my Jessie spayed at 4 months now

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
yeah, it sucks, my brother and i were talking about breeding her so we'd have her puppies around.. but, i guess its too late for that now

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
i just got a call back from the vet, surgery i scheduled tomorrow morning, i hope she's OK until then, she's on anti-biotics right now

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
if i remember right 9 years old is far too old to breed a dog as 9 years is senior. Right time to breed a dog is when in thier prime at 2 years old. not sure what age from not to breed or whats considered too old but 9 is too old. my friend has a dog and he wanted to breed her but she was going on 8 years old and the vets told him too old to breed as be lots of complications.

Besides breeding is very expensive surely because you have to get so much health testing done eyes elbows, knees blood work, x rays etc then the pregnancy itself is very costly esp if c section needed and then all the food you need to feed her while preggers and the amont of pups to look after flea and worm take to the vets for check up , weigh in vaccines. the list goes on.

Glad she is doing ok.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
im aware of all that.. it would have been nice to have one of her children around when she finally dies though (hopefully not for many more years)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
so what do you guys think the chance of recovery is? its still open, she's alert, wagging her tail, came up to me to rest her head on me today, and i got her to eat some tuna, but surgery is tomorrow, do you guys think she'll make it?

·
Registered
917 Posts
I think it sounds good. Over the years I've had two cats have pyometra. They both did great once out of surgery. The uterus and infection are taken out. Both cats had a course of antibiotics and did great. I still have one cat, one passed long ago. Jade is still being a bratty spoiled monster who likes to knock everything down onto the floor and eats like a pig.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
she actually tried stealing food from her sister this evening but as she cannot eat beyond 6pm (vets orders), i had to stop her from doing so so apparently her appetite is improving and the only treatment she's been on is 250mg of clavamox every 12 hours

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
how long should this operation take for pyometra? last i heard she was in surgery and that was at 10:30 eastern time, 2 1/2 hours ago

·
Registered
917 Posts
The whole thing, prep surgery and recovery can take a while. My cats had stayed overnight, I think. A few weeks ago one of my dogs had a mass removed from his eyelid and he was there all day. Dropped him off at 8 or 9am and picked him up at 6pm. You can always call and ask how she is doing, I've done that before.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
i just got off the phone with the vet, there was a lot of bleeding when they did the surgery, but they say they got it taken care of, put her on a heating pad and she's starting to pick her head up and look around now and they say she's stable

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Sounds promising, as is the case with all medical procedures, there can never be a guarantee, but it all sounds very promising. Given no unexpected set-backs she should do fine, and be there to keep you company for years to come.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts