Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, so I am new here but I am very stumped. I have an almost 7 month old beagle/husky mix and she is very active but we take her on a walk/run for at minimum 30 mins a day. By night time she is still active but plays and calms down. Last night at around 3-3:30 am I woke up panicking because she attacked my 1 1/2 year old Australian shepherd for no reason! They were sleeping in separate halves of the room completely knocked out and she just ran to him and started a very big fight. I yelled immediately as it woke me up and they stopped, she went back to bed. There were no noises, no triggers that I’m aware of. She sleeps in a thundershirt since she had anxiety as a pup. Tonight also around 3:30 am she was in a full sleep as was he and they were sleeping separate, she attacked him again! This time it was worse and he drew blood from her. He is a lazy dog, when she engages play with him he doesn’t normally bite so this was a total shock. She sleeps in her crate sometimes since it’s cooler but we leave it I open in case she wants to be out. I really need help because I’m worried it will be worse the next time around! She is also not in any meds, spayed, and she does not have any vision hearing or cognitive issues.

·
Super Moderator
683 Posts
Hi everyone, so I am new here but I am very stumped. I have an almost 7 month old beagle/husky mix and she is very active but we take her on a walk/run for at minimum 30 mins a day. By night time she is still active but plays and calms down. Last night at around 3-3:30 am I woke up panicking because she attacked my 1 1/2 year old Australian shepherd for no reason! They were sleeping in separate halves of the room completely knocked out and she just ran to him and started a very big fight. I yelled immediately as it woke me up and they stopped, she went back to bed. There were no noises, no triggers that I’m aware of. She sleeps in a thundershirt since she had anxiety as a pup. Tonight also around 3:30 am she was in a full sleep as was he and they were sleeping separate, she attacked him again! This time it was worse and he drew blood from her. He is a lazy dog, when she engages play with him he doesn’t normally bite so this was a total shock. She sleeps in her crate sometimes since it’s cooler but we leave it I open in case she wants to be out. I really need help because I’m worried it will be worse the next time around! She is also not in any meds, spayed, and she does not have any vision hearing or cognitive issues.
Hi. Welcome to the forum.

I wonder if she's having nightmares, waking up, panicking, and what you're seeing is a form of redirected aggression? It's a long shot, but as you say she was sound asleep, that's what springs to mind.

You say she sleeps in her crste sometimes with the door open. How is she with the door closed? You need to separate these dogs at night for both their sakes, and if she's already used to sleeping in a crate, that would be the easiest solution.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I wonder if she's having nightmares, waking up, panicking, and what you're seeing is a form of redirected aggression? It's a long shot, but as you say she was sound asleep, that's what springs to mind.

You say she sleeps in her crste sometimes with the door open. How is she with the door closed? You need to separate these dogs at night for both their sakes, and if she's already used to sleeping in a crate, that would be the easiest solution.

when she sleeps in her crate with the door closed she does pretty well but even after we take her out she gets upset and she’ll pee in the crate just so we can let her out and keep the door open. That’s why we leave it open since she won’t pee with it open only if we close the door. She’s fully potty trained too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How do they respond to each other during the day?
During the day they do awesome, they play and run around and play more when we bring them to the park. They share toys they eat and drink together so this is totally out of the random and I don’t know why.

·
Super Moderator
683 Posts
when she sleeps in her crate with the door closed she does pretty well but even after we take her out she gets upset and she’ll pee in the crate just so we can let her out and keep the door open. That’s why we leave it open since she won’t pee with it open only if we close the door. She’s fully potty trained too.
If she's peeing in the crate with the door closed, then either she's either not fully house trained, or she's so anxious in it that she's literally peeing herself. A third possibility would be a urine infection, but she'd be doing that even with the crate open.

Given the fact that they get on well during the day, I still think this is a form of night terror and redirected aggression. Is there any way to partition the space around her crate, so that she isn't locked in the crate, but still cannot get to your other dog?

Reactions: JoanneF
1 - 6 of 6 Posts