Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my dog is about 25 lb. He never really voluntarily eats his kibble unless I mix something in it (usually I put fish or meat in it). We ran out, so I thought I would put some chicken base (I had no idea that onions were toxic), so he ate that and licked it off his bowl.

Will he be okay
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
917 Posts
Chances are he'll be fine, but keep an eye on him anyway. Growing up we always fed the dog table scraps and I know she got onions. It takes more than a little onion to make most dogs sick. But in the future read the ingredients, like I'm sure you've learned. I hope your pup is fine, but call your vet if he doesn't seem right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,929 Posts
So, my dog is about 25 lb. He never really voluntarily eats his kibble unless I mix something in it (usually I put fish or meat in it). We ran out, so I thought I would put some chicken base (I had no idea that onions were toxic), so he ate that and licked it off his bowl.

Will he be okay
These are things to look for. Sounds like there was such a small amount your dog should be fine. Chicken base is usually full of salt also so not a good choice. You could make your own and keep the chicken for treats.
Pet Poison Helpline - Onion Poisoning
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,827 Posts
I've read where human rulers in ancient days built up resistances to poisons by actually taking in small amounts. Make's me wonder if in the past, dogs and cats did the same as so many of them were fed family scraps, foods that often were spiced with onion, garlic, etc.

Our family did the same thing with dogs, they got scraps as probably 50% of their diet back in the early 1960's into the mid-1970s...when my dad finally made enough money that we started buying more dog food and stopped giving the dogs everything off the plates. None of our dogs died early or mysteriously and lived into old age.

I also had a year old pup that grabbed a baby onion I dropped....the stove was at the edge of a wall and the living room transition area started there and that was where my 2 dogs, Sampson and Hey You were laying down, ...the onion rolled right to the dog and she grabbed it and ate it before I could do anything. At that time I didn't know onions were bad for dogs, but I couldn't believe she ate it, even when upon first biting down on it, she realized it tasted bad. If Sampson had grabbed it, she would have spit it out upon first taste.

Stormy
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top