Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My one year old dog decided to eat part of the strap from her toy bin. I’m not sure of the exact material, but it kind of reminds me of burlap. I don’t think she ate a lot of it, as there didn’t appear to be too much gone from the strap and I found a few pieces laying around.
She did that last night, probably exactly 24 hours ago.
I actually didn’t think she ate any of it until she had a bowel movement about an hour ago. She’s been having regular bowel movements since last night, and she’s been eating and drinking and playing like her normal self. But with her last bowel movement I could tell she was straining a bit and noticed strands of something (I had assumed hair) dangling in between. When she was done I went over to look and it appeared that she actually pooped out part of the strap she chewed. There was a decent amount.
Does anyone see any cause for concern at this point? I’m mostly worried because the material was kind of thick and if there is more in there then I’m concerned it could get wrapped around her intestines. I’m obviously going to monitor her and look for any changes in her behavior, but I assume that the fact that so far there has not been any changes to her health or behavior is a good sign. But any experiences or suggestions would be appreciated!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,772 Posts
You are just going to have to keep a good eye on her for the next 3 days or so. If you notice any discomfort, she goes off her food, she cannot defecate, or she starts vomiting and does not stop, then get her to the vet ASAP as the strap may be causing a blockage.

The fact that she's passed at least some of it is a really good sign, and hopefully she either passed it all, or will safely pass the rest. If it makes you feel better my brat once sword swallowed the last inch of a bully stick and I didn't realize that he had. 3 days later he threw it up looking dang near like it did when he swallowed it, he was just fine. Another time I made the mistake of giving him a smoked cow's hoof, and before I knew what was going on he was biting off chunks of it, I took it away and was hopeful he didn't actually swallow any, well he had swallowed around 3 or 4 nickle and quarter sized pieces. 3 days later he threw them up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your response! We’ve somehow managed to go almost a whole year without her swallowing anything like that (that we know of), but I guess it was inevitable. Something like this is one of my biggest fears so I’m overly paranoid even though she’s showing no signs of distress. So having someone else reaffirm that she’s likely okay makes me feel better :)
Glad your pup is okay! They definitely keep us on our toes!
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top