Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Akita and last night she got into the trashcan and ate about a third of a corn cob. I'm not sure if she swallowed it whole or if she chewed it up into smaller pieces.

I've read online that people say take the dog to the vet the second they vomit but my Akita vomits any time she eats anything that's not dog food.... So I'm not sure that warrants a vet visit.

Are there any other signs to look for? And how long do the symptoms usually last before it's too late? When should she possibly pass it? (I don't want to wait too long).

·
Registered
390 Posts
Vet as soon as possible. They can xray and possibly scope and remove it without sx. If you wait too long and it makes it's way into the intestinal tract you are looking at sx. Vet I work for just removed a rock from a golden retriever's intestines Monday night.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
The advice you are getting is correct. You need your Vet to determine how potentially serious that corn cob may or may not be. Lets hope its no problem at all, but let your Vet tell you that.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Corn cobs, if chewed up well, usually are not a problem. However, many dogs do not chew them up and eat them whole (not necessarily meaning the entire ear, but the entire diameter). This is usually disastrous. I have removed countless corn cob sections from dog intestinal tracts. Corn cobs make excellent stoppers for intestines, absorbing water and swelling somewhat and them becoming quickly and thoroughly jammed in the intestine making it impossible to move any further downstream and everything upstream from it cannot move, either, and usually ends up being vomited back up. Do NOT let your dog eat a corn cob!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts