Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I rent a room in a home with my 4 year old Basset Hound. He is a very friendly dog but does prefer to be near me and has always had a low-grade need to not be separated but it's never been an issue when I leave for work or to go to the store though until now.

My roommates are friendly and play with him, and the other dogs in the house, when I am home and he has access to a yard. He likes my roommates/other dogs and is not scared of them. He does not bark when I am home or if no one is home (we've recorded to check). He has always been crate trained and has never had any issues with it.

The problem has become that if I leave before everyone else has left, due to work schedules, or I leave to go out on the weekends and someone else is home he will cry and bark. Closing the door to where his crate is only worsens the issue and it seems to be best to leave the door open so he can see/hear what is happening though on the rare occasion he seems to get jealous if he can see another dog out and about and he is confined. Once the remaining person leaves or I return home he is fine.

He is getting enough exercise daily and is healthy otherwise. Moving into my own space is currently not an option for me.

Any training advice to teach him to not bark/ whine when others (and their dogs) are home and I am not would be much appreciated :)

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
My question is.... are all the dogs crated when there is no one home? Also, is it necessary for him to be crated when you are not home? I say that because although my dog IS crate trained, at the age of 4 I no longer worry about potty training or her being destructive..she just sleeps most of the day so I no longer crate.......
If your dog is just 'complaining' when he sees every but himself 'out' couldn't you just ask your roommates to crate him for you when they leave, and if not, why not just leave him uncrated if no one objects?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.