Dog Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
I know someone who flew multiple dogs from New York to Israel. It can be done. The question, even more than food and water, is temperature. Unless you have a very small dog, your dog will be flying with the cargo. There will be times during the travel when the dog is sitting in her crate outside with the rest of the suitcases under the hot sun or the freezing wind, depending on the time of year. Therefore, it's best to try to travel in spring or autumn, when the weather is more moderate. If you are flying in summer, it's best to try to schedule the flights in the evening and night, to avoid hot sun on the ground. Sometimes the airlines will refuse to transport a dog at all, if they feel the ground temperature conditions are too dangerous.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Mention of the dog being overweight does cause me some concern. Obesity puts an extra strain on the cardiovascular system, plus it also gives the dog more body mass to need to keep cool. While airplanes are pressurized, they are still a high altitude environment. I would definitely take your vets advice and try to get some of the extra body mass off.

Make sure it's a gradual weight loss program. A starvation diet that causes her to lose a lot of weight very quickly will be stressful and dangerous too. My method starts with determining what a healthy weight for the dog should be. Perhaps the dog is 22 kilograms now, and the ideal weight is 18 kilograms. Next I look at the feeding chart for the food brand and calculate how much food an 18 kilogram dog should eat each day. A 22 kilogram dog will gradually lose weight if you give her only the amount of food an 18 kilogram dog should eat. I also divide the ration into three meals each day. Multiple small meals each day helps to stabilize the blood sugar levels and helps prevent the dog from getting hungry and irritable.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts