Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have a big problem. I used to live with my partner, our friend and our Yorkie in one house. The housemate always cuddles him, he sleeps on his pillow, licks his whole face and whatever the Yorkie does, the friend would never say anything and would never get angry. My partner and I kept on giving him discipline, we told him no and didn't just give him treats because "he looks cute". But the dog still changed over time. He would steal your seat and when my ex and I would say no and trying to get him off, the friend would get angry at us for saying no to the dog and would call him up on your seat/bed/pillow. We explained this isn't good for the dog but he told us we shouldn't be so harsh on him because he's only little (still nearly 5 though) and he claimed to love him more than we could ever love him, because we tell him no and try to have him behave himself.

My ex left a few months ago, saying that we can look after him. It only got worse after that. Our friend stayed with the dog, instantly saying how it's now his dog and if I don't like it I should move the ** out. He let the dog sleep on my bed when I try to sleep, he gives him treats, he never tells him off for bad behaviour and gets angry at me for trying to get the dog to listen. He never feeds him or walks him, never rings the vet and even ignores everyone including different vets when they say they think he's ill. I am the one that does all the work, but I just simply don't want him to sleep on my bed because I am a really light sleeper. He used to sleep in my room for 3 weeks and I couldn't sleep at all, even with sleeping aids. He's very loud at night and sleeps on your back, bum or stomach and my body can't deal with it. So, according to my housemate, I can't be his owner because I don't really love him.

The dog misbehaves a lot now as well, he would wee and poo in the house when I'm in the bathroom, pulls on his leash (he never did this before), walks between your legs, follows you everywhere, whines a lot until you give him attention, begs a lot and just doesn't listen. He listens to my housemate a little, but not to me. He used to, before my housemate got this involved.

My housemate doesn't believe me and when he's doing something he just says "he's just being cheeky!" He growls and warns you when you pick him up but my housemate sees this as cute and adorable. He's becoming so dominant and it just really feels like the dog hates me or doesn't see me as his owner anymore. He shows aggressive behaviour towards me, just like the housemate..

Now my ex wants to pick him up because he doesn't want the dog to be ruined even more, and no matter what I say or do the housemate keeps on trying to claim him and that's just unfair. But, housemate said that he loves the dog with his life and if I ever take him away from him he will ruin my life if not worse. I know what kind of person he is now, and every professional (GP, counsellor etc) warns me about my housemate's threats. My ex said either that or take responsibility, but whenever I try, the housemate doesn't listen and goes against everything I say. I can't move out either as I don't have work or money at the moment, my housemate uses it. My ex knew this when he left by the way, that I didn't have work or an income so my housemate had to pay for our dog's food.

I want to rescue my pup. I know I was selfish or we were selfish for letting it come to this and allowing an abusive person around our pup. But what can I do without putting everyone in danger? He doesn't hit the dog by the way and the dog really adores him so in a way I'm also feeling guilty because the dog loves him so much :(

Can my ex demand the dog back? Am I the owner or would my housemate be seen as the owner? I know I don't deserve to be his owner and I want to save him..but I'm selfish and care more about my own life than the dog's health.

Just quickly, the dog has a name of course, but I'm frightened my housemate might stumble upon this so I don't want to give names.

·
Registered
131 Posts
What a nightmare.
Whose house is it? Is it rented? Who pays the rent?
It's not a happy situation for you and it's not a happy situation for the dog. Dogs need parameters.
If the ex can take decent care of the dog it sounds like that might be the best option. That way, any issues are between the housemate and the ex - not you.
Would he agree to a temporary arrangement till you get back on your feet?
I would first have the dog removed then I would remove myself. The housemate sounds unstable. Any family you can stay with?

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Sounds like you need to escape..and fast. Maybe record on your cell phone any conversations about the dog and if your room mate threatens you, you can probably get a restraining order and have the room mate removed from the residence. You should have some kind of documentation to show that you are the true owner of the dog too.

If you can't get the room mate kicked, then the next best thing is secretly get another apartment, and try to get moved at some point when your room mate is gone for the day. If you and your ex had a half way decent split, maybe your ex can help you out there. ???

During this process you might find a safe place to kennel your dog, or let the ex take care of it, if you feel your ex would return your dog once things settle down.

Do something soon, because you might come home to find the room mate has moved and taken your dog.

Stormy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What a nightmare.
Whose house is it? Is it rented? Who pays the rent?
It's not a happy situation for you and it's not a happy situation for the dog. Dogs need parameters.
If the ex can take decent care of the dog it sounds like that might be the best option. That way, any issues are between the housemate and the ex - not you.
Would he agree to a temporary arrangement till you get back on your feet?
I would first have the dog removed then I would remove myself. The housemate sounds unstable. Any family you can stay with?
The house is rented, housemate is the first tenant on the contract and I'm the second. We both pay the rent, but he used my money from 2 weeks ago on himself (he works, I don't at the moment so he feels like he's entitled to buy fun things and taxis home, instead of saving up a bit for the rent) we're on the same tenancy agreement, so if I would pay my share but he doesn't pay his, we's still be evicted. Rent is due this week though and even if I spent all my money on rent again like last month it wouldn't be enough to cover it.

My ex can't take care of him, he lives with his family again and they're allergic. My ex was saying about rehoming him..again :(

I definitely want to move, but I have nowhere else to go. My ex and all my friends live 15 hours away from us and I don't drive. It would be fine if I had some money left, but he spent it. I can't provide evidence of him spending it either, it was there one day and gone the day after.

The dog needs to be in a safe environment, he is unstable yes and I'm concerned he hits the dog when he finally gets enough of his behaviour, which is cruel and horrible. I know he shouts and gets aggressive at everyone if he doesn't get his way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like you need to escape..and fast. Maybe record on your cell phone any conversations about the dog and if your room mate threatens you, you can probably get a restraining order and have the room mate removed from the residence. You should have some kind of documentation to show that you are the true owner of the dog too.

If you can't get the room mate kicked, then the next best thing is secretly get another apartment, and try to get moved at some point when your room mate is gone for the day. If you and your ex had a half way decent split, maybe your ex can help you out there. ???

During this process you might find a safe place to kennel your dog, or let the ex take care of it, if you feel your ex would return your dog once things settle down.

Do something soon, because you might come home to find the room mate has moved and taken your dog.

Stormy
We both don't have any documentation about who's the owner, my ex's parents still has all of that. Would that be enough to have the dog sent to them? They can't keep him there and were talking about rehoming them, but everything's better than staying here at the minute. My housemate was already talking about getting a dog license for him...but don't you need information and proof of purchase/ownership before you can get one? And they're not going to provide that to us if that's the case. They would give it to me, but they can't trust the housemate not to use it instead.

My ex wanted to help me move out but after what happened with the housemate threatening me, his mum said they didn't want me there anymore.

If I put him in a kennel and he turns out to be ill, won't they euthanise him? He's also pretty old isn't he? :( I looked around for kennels but they all said "We will never put a healthy dog down!" I have to find out, but before I can take him I'd need money. And the housemate is under the impression that something serious can't kill him overnight :/

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi everyone,

I have a big problem. I used to live with my partner, our friend and our Yorkie in one house. The housemate always cuddles him, he sleeps on his pillow, licks his whole face and whatever the Yorkie does, the friend would never say anything and would never get angry. My partner and I kept on giving him discipline, we told him no and didn't just give him treats because "he looks cute". But the dog still changed over time. He would steal your seat and when my ex and I would say no and trying to get him off, the friend would get angry at us for saying no to the dog and would call him up on your seat/bed/pillow. We explained this isn't good for the dog but he told us we shouldn't be so harsh on him because he's only little (still nearly 5 though) and he claimed to love him more than we could ever love him, because we tell him no and try to have him behave himself.

My ex left a few months ago, saying that we can look after him. It only got worse after that. Our friend stayed with the dog, instantly saying how it's now his dog and if I don't like it I should move the ** out. He let the dog sleep on my bed when I try to sleep, he gives him treats, he never tells him off for bad behaviour and gets angry at me for trying to get the dog to listen. He never feeds him or walks him, never rings the vet and even ignores everyone including different vets when they say they think he's ill. I am the one that does all the work, but I just simply don't want him to sleep on my bed because I am a really light sleeper. He used to sleep in my room for 3 weeks and I couldn't sleep at all, even with sleeping aids. He's very loud at night and sleeps on your back, bum or stomach and my body can't deal with it. So, according to my housemate, I can't be his owner because I don't really love him.

The dog misbehaves a lot now as well, he would wee and poo in the house when I'm in the bathroom, pulls on his leash (he never did this before), walks between your legs, follows you everywhere, whines a lot until you give him attention, begs a lot and just doesn't listen. He listens to my housemate a little, but not to me. He used to, before my housemate got this involved.

My housemate doesn't believe me and when he's doing something he just says "he's just being cheeky!" He growls and warns you when you pick him up but my housemate sees this as cute and adorable. He's becoming so dominant and it just really feels like the dog hates me or doesn't see me as his owner anymore. He shows aggressive behaviour towards me, just like the housemate..

Now my ex wants to pick him up because he doesn't want the dog to be ruined even more, and no matter what I say or do the housemate keeps on trying to claim him and that's just unfair. But, housemate said that he loves the dog with his life and if I ever take him away from him he will ruin my life if not worse. I know what kind of person he is now, and every professional (GP, counsellor etc) warns me about my housemate's threats. My ex said either that or take responsibility, but whenever I try, the housemate doesn't listen and goes against everything I say. I can't move out either as I don't have work or money at the moment, my housemate uses it. My ex knew this when he left by the way, that I didn't have work or an income so my housemate had to pay for our dog's food.

I want to rescue my pup. I know I was selfish or we were selfish for letting it come to this and allowing an abusive person around our pup. But what can I do without putting everyone in danger? He doesn't hit the dog by the way and the dog really adores him so in a way I'm also feeling guilty because the dog loves him so much :(

Can my ex demand the dog back? Am I the owner or would my housemate be seen as the owner? I know I don't deserve to be his owner and I want to save him..but I'm selfish and care more about my own life than the dog's health.

Just quickly, the dog has a name of course, but I'm frightened my housemate might stumble upon this so I don't want to give names.
Your dog is misbehaving, there may be many reasons, some of them are given
  1. lack of training.
  2. lack of exercise.
  3. lack of nutrition.
  4. Boredom. (not having a partner dog or lonely for a long time in a day)
  5. canine anxiety.
  6. lack of sleep(rare)
These are the basic reasons why your dog misbehaves with you or your family members, friends & neighbors. A few years ago i also had this problem, my dog (named jimmy) used to bark at my neighbors and some of my friends. my dog was physically inactive. then I went to the nearest vet but the problem was not resolved, I also hired a pet trainer who charged me $70/day but nothing works. there was a time that I regret about having a dog at all. And then an old friend of mine discovered a course for dogs which I think it may work, but it was better than my expectation! my dog not only became well behaved he begin to follow my all commands like (“sit”,” run”,” come here jimmy”, etc). after months we together went for hiking and jimmy cooperated with me very well, it was an amazing trip. he became so well behaved, interactive & obedient that I never expected. I’m glad that I got jimmy now we are best friends.
If you can relate from this story and your dog isn’t well behaved then you should try this course (here is the link- http://bit.ly/2YMzFt9 ) I can assure you won’t regret
just copy and paste this link on your browser if it’s not working.
Have a nice evening with your fellow met.:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts