Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog has never really liked my cat, but he's never shown any kind of aggression towards her until recently.
They both sleep in my room. Late at night I was sleeping when I woke up suddenly because I heard the dog growl and snap. I turned the light on and the cat had her hair puffed out, and she wouldn't let me get near her. After a few minutes I was able to get her and she was uninjured.
Several nights later they were both in my room without me because I was getting a drink or something and my dad and I heard the dog growling again and then a crash. We ran into the room and saw the water bowl and other things were knocked over and the cat was puffed up again. Neither of them were injured.
What could be causing this?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I can't guess from what you posted what could be causing it, but i would strongly advise separating them from now on to prevent any injuries.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Your first reaction is to scold the animal that is bothering the other pet, right? Unfortunately, this will only make things worse. Your pets are already stressed about the new situation and your yelling will not help them relax.

Because this is an aggression problem, I highly recommend you get the help of a professional behaviorist in your area. Seeing an animal trainer in action sometimes tells you more than a hundred words could.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Because this is an aggression problem, I highly recommend you get the help of a professional behaviorist in your area. Seeing an animal trainer in action sometimes tells you more than a hundred words could.
Great suggestion ryan! Are they still fighting until now? I would also suggest to separate them for the time being.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't yell at or scold either of them. My dog is so sensitive that if you yell or scold or look at him funny, you risk him peeing in fear.
I see them eyeing each other sometimes but they have not fought again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Your first reaction is to scold the animal that is bothering the other pet, right? Unfortunately, this will only make things worse. Your pets are already stressed about the new situation and your yelling will not help them relax.

Nice thoughts ryan! I also sought help from a professional behaviorist and it solved the problem which I also had. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
35 Posts

Thank you for the advice Ryan! It helps a lot. God bless!

·
Registered
420 Posts
cats are nocturnal much more than dogs, I'd suspect the cat is waking the dog and, startling the dog. The simple solution is to remove the cat from the room at night, or remove the dog.

That's also best for the safety of both, the dog could injure the cat but, the cat could also injure the dog - a claw to the eye is not what you want to happen and, you don't need the dog biting the cat either.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Both animals must sleep in my room at night. The cat is declawed, so despite all of her bravado, she won't hurt him. He could hurt her though, which is what scared me.
The dog slept locked in a crate for a couple weeks, but doesn't anymore and we've had no more issues. Weird.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Its possible the cat is instigating......cats can have a real sort of evil streak with other animals it seems to me. I used to stay at a buddies house once a month or so for awhile, always took my female bullmastiff with me. He had these two bengal cats, dog and cats got along fine. But one of cats would do this weird thing- my old girl would be sleeping on couch mostly, and the male cat would just slowly reach out, hook his claws into her skin and like, pull on her skin. Weird. She usually just woke up and knocked him off the back of the couch with her head. Maybe it something like that going on?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wouldn't put it past her. But he's never liked her, even when she's not doing anything. But hopefully it was just a couple of random incidents and they'll continue to live in peace.
Occasionally we'll have to distract them because they'll be unmovingly staring at each other, but nothing more than that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts