Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a german shepherd puppy who is usually very active. He is constantly walking around the house, playing with toys, biting me at times, etc. His eating, drinking, bathroom habits are the same. I took him to the vet for a hot spot last week and they said all is fine. Last month or so I noticed activity went down. He puts his head down alot too now when he is all the way down. All his vitals seem to be OK. He is on heartworm preventative and tested negative for that, gets wormed every few months, is on Advantix, eats Innova (dry & wet). Not sure what it could be. I just have noticed a change. Is he just settling down a bit? Will be 1 year old next week. He is mostly inside but is out a few hours a day (weather permiting). I take him to dog parks, for walks, etc. He is fine then.

Any advice?:ponder:

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
Any sudden change in our animals, whether its runny eyes, activity level, eating less-all can indicate that they aren't feeling well. They can't tell us they feel sick, but this is how they let us know.

I'd pop into the vet for an exam and make sure everything is OK. Make sure to discuss the sudden change in behavior-you giving background is key for the vet to make a diagnosis, or to help her figure out what tests to run.

Once he is found to be healthy, then you can move onto 'behavioral' causes for the change. But it's VERY important to ensure they are healthy before trying to figure it out in a behavioral context.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
ditto: what mikey said. this big of a behavior change in a pup that age is definately calling for a vet visit....
if the vet clears him of anything medical, try to think of any changes in your routine or the pups

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts