Dog Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have done some agility with my aussie but he is now 7 and I don't want to over do it with him as he sometimes has joint issues. And I am planning on getting a puppy this winter but I'm not sure on the breed. I'd like something 30-60 lbs and good for agility. I'd also like a good watchdog or protective dog. I would also prefer a dog that doesn't shed excessively. Interested in Cardigan Welsh Corgis and Pembrokes but idk if they are good for a beginner. Any other breed ideas would be helpful

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've heard that Cardigans are pretty rare in the U.S, but then again so are Malinois and we have a few local breeders so I don't know if those corgis are available where you are. What about another aussie since you already have experience with them? I wouldn't really worry about the guard dog thing. Any dog with a decent bark will keep most strangers away. I've heard that Pembrokes are great. What about Australian Cattle Dogs? I don't know how much they shed though.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Corgis shed a lot from what I understand. Cattle Dogs are an INTENSE breed that is definitely not for beginners. They're moderate shedders but they make good guard dogs. Honestly if you want a dog that will be a good agility prospect and you know their coat type/personality, go to a shelter and ask for a high energy adolescent or adult dog (there's always tons that are hard to adopt out!) that seems very trainable and doesn't shed too much. You'll be better off doing that than getting a puppy of a breed that's "usually" good at agility.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
What about poodles? are you ok with grooming? they are an exceptionally intelligent and athletic breed, good with dog sports. Don´t be fooled by their frou frou reputation.

In my experience most dogs are good watchdogs, watchdogs rather than guarddogs are alert and let you know when something is off. My yorkie is a fantastic watchdog. I feel safe with him in the house even though he cant protect me burglar won´t be able to sneak up on me either. Usually a barking dog is more than enough to deter a burglar.

Proper guard dogs are usually not used in agility, it is a huge responsibility and those personalities are usually not suited to agility.

Most herders are really good watchdogs, Icelandic sheepdogs are the best I know. However they are very rare outside Iceland and they shed ALOT. But trainable and athletic. Maybe look at the nordic spitz breeds.

Rough or smooth collies perhaps? I would ask about them, I dont have personal experience with them though, shetland sheepdog is a bit smaller, but again I would imagine the the shedding is heavy but I would ask around.

There was a member here who used to do agility with shelties but I dont think she´s here anymore. She now had papillons but they would be too small for you right?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Corgis shed a lot, but IME they are fine dogs for beginners. You already have an Aussie and they aren't any more difficult than that. Have you met any? They tend to have strong personalities in my experience. Kind of bossy pushy little dogs, but in an endearing way.

Pretty much any dog can do agility though. Look for a breed that fits your lifestyle and then try to find a breeder who breeds for performance events. Don't get a dog just because it's known to be good at agility - agility will only be such a small part of your life with the dog. What breeds interest you based on temperament and other characteristics?

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
I started doing agility with my lab and she is wonderful at it. Really any breed with some energy and a little bit of drive can do agility.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Corgis shed a lot, but IME they are fine dogs for beginners. You already have an Aussie and they aren't any more difficult than that. Have you met any? They tend to have strong personalities in my experience. Kind of bossy pushy little dogs, but in an endearing way.

Pretty much any dog can do agility though. Look for a breed that fits your lifestyle and then try to find a breeder who breeds for performance events. Don't get a dog just because it's known to be good at agility - agility will only be such a small part of your life with the dog. What breeds interest you based on temperament and other characteristics?
I like higher energy dogs, but also like dogs that will lay down at bedtime with me. Preferably very trainable dogs because I love training different tricks etc. I also would love to have what people call a "velcro" dog. My aussie is kinda like that but not as much as my fiancée's moms mini aussie. (I do not want a mini though because theirs is nutso energetic at the same age as my standard aussie) In the past i have looked into:
Schnauzers
Corgis
Aussies
Border collies
Malinois
Dachshunds
Jack Russells
Field Spaniel
Boykin spaniel
Brittney
Australian Cattle Dog

However I have still yet to figure out which I want.
I did however find out I cannot afford any of the malinois breeders around here. I know that may sound bad but its the truth. Same with the field and boykin spaniel. I believe it is because all 3 are fairly rare. Earlier it was mentioned Borders and ACDs are not good for beginners. So. If anyone can help me decifer the rest of this list Id love it! Lol!?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I started agility a few months ago with my Sheltie and he is flying. I have seen loads of brilliant poodles. They are a rough and tumble breed who fly around the course :) I would recommend shelties or poodles but they do take a fair amount of grooming. My Sheltie sheds less then my German Shepherds though!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I definitely would not recommend a Malinois if you're going to get a puppy. I always hate when people day that one breed is too much this or that because every dog within a breed can have different energy levels, but As a puppy it's too much of a risk. You could end up with a puppy that needs a full time trainer and you wouldn't know it until it's already a couple months old. I personally love all the Brittany's I've come in contact with. They seem energetic but not too hyper. Also, just in case it's not completely off your list yet, Mals do shed. It's the different kind of shedding where the dead hair just falls out. It's almost more annoying than the thicker coat dogs because at least you can brush out all the hair. Running my hand through Tucker's back does the same amount of good that brushing him does.
I think schnauzers would be good to look into as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mals I believe are out because of price and other reasons. I don't think I want a poodle because I don't think I would like their coat type. As far as Shelties go I'd like one but I cannot find a reputable breeder near me.. Schnauzers I can find mini but that is it, which I like but my fiancée really doesn't like the size of them. If i could find a Standard Schnauzer breeder I'd like that. Right now I would say I am looking at
Corgi
Schnauzer
Smoothe Collie(Maybe if I could find one)
Maybe Brittney (id like to look at them again)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I definitely would not recommend a Malinois if you're going to get a puppy. I always hate when people day that one breed is too much this or that because every dog within a breed can have different energy levels, but As a puppy it's too much of a risk. You could end up with a puppy that needs a full time trainer and you wouldn't know it until it's already a couple months old. I personally love all the Brittany's I've come in contact with. They seem energetic but not too hyper. Also, just in case it's not completely off your list yet, Mals do shed. It's the different kind of shedding where the dead hair just falls out. It's almost more annoying than the thicker coat dogs because at least you can brush out all the hair. Running my hand through Tucker's back does the same amount of good that brushing him does.
I think schnauzers would be good to look into as well.
Posted via Mobile Device
That is the type of shedding my aussie does so Im trying to get away from that. Or atleast big dogs that do that

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Schnauzers - I've never seen one do agility, but I think with consistency they could totally do it. They are a hard headed breed.

Corgis - Super smart dogs. Very high energy. Often used in agility. Will need a ton of exercise and mental stimulation.

Brittney - I don't know much about spaniels.

Smooth Collies - I've heard they are a lot like aussies. I've never had the pleasure of working with one.

Please remember these are all person opinions.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Mals I believe are out because of price and other reasons. I don't think I want a poodle because I don't think I would like their coat type. As far as Shelties go I'd like one but I cannot find a reputable breeder near me.. Schnauzers I can find mini but that is it, which I like but my fiancée really doesn't like the size of them. If i could find a Standard Schnauzer breeder I'd like that. Right now I would say I am looking at
Corgi
Schnauzer
I don't think a mini schnauzer is any smaller then a corgi. There is a mini schnauzer at our club and he is brilliant now but was hard to get going when he first started, he liked to do his own thing :D I've never actually seen a standard schnauzer competing. I am going to look it up on youtube now haha! I know some people who when deciding to get another agility dog they have gone for a rescue that shows potential. What about a kelpie?

·
Registered
291 Posts
What about a field bred English springer or English cocker? They can be really fun drivey dogs. The field bred ESS may be too much energy though.

Welsh springers would fit, but they are more rare and the price is similar to Fields.

I think a Brittany would probably be way more energy than you want. Most I have met did not develop an off switch until late in life (like 5+ years).

I don't know if I'd recommend mini schnauzers. I grew up with them and while they are smart, I find them kind of sharp and not super easy to train. Many are very timid as well (which is not correct for the breed, but it is what it is). Standards are, IME, a whole different breed with a very different temperament. More serious working dog kind of.

I think a smooth collie could be a great fit. Corgi could also be a really good fit. They are fun and spunky little dogs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Corgi
Schnauzer
I don't think a mini schnauzer is any smaller then a corgi. There is a mini schnauzer at our club and he is brilliant now but was hard to get going when he first started, he liked to do his own thing
I've never actually seen a standard schnauzer competing. I am going to look it up on youtube now haha! I know some people who when deciding to get another agility dog they have gone for a rescue that shows potential. What about a kelpie?
If i could find a kelpie even CLOSE to illinois I'd get it in a heartbeat! Sadly i believe the closest breeder is in either florida or texas ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What about a field bred English springer or English cocker? They can be really fun drivey dogs. The field bred ESS may be too much energy though.

Welsh springers would fit, but they are more rare and the price is similar to Fields.

I think a Brittany would probably be way more energy than you want. Most I have met did not develop an off switch until late in life (like 5+ years).

I don't know if I'd recommend mini schnauzers. I grew up with them and while they are smart, I find them kind of sharp and not super easy to train. Many are very timid as well (which is not correct for the breed, but it is what it is). Standards are, IME, a whole different breed with a very different temperament. More serious working dog kind of.

I think a smooth collie could be a great fit. Corgi could also be a really good fit. They are fun and spunky little dogs.
I have looked into cockers before but only found english cocker breeders around here.. and the springers I've only found show breeders.

Been trying to look for smooth collie breeders. Ive found multiple corgi breeders here in Illinois or the surrounding states. The collies seem to be a bit harder to find. Atleast in the smooth coat. On the offchance that anybody knows of smooth collie breeders here in the midwest please share!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts