Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Biscuit loves agility. He does. And I can only blame myself for his main problem of late: A-frame contact. He never did really contact, and I never made him. My bad. Now that he can do the teeter, he can do everything but hit the yellow on the A-frame. I tried him ducking a hoop, and it worked fine. However, he wouldn't duck down unless my hand was over his head, causing some problems. The A-frame I have is wood and is really heavy, plus I don't have room in my tiny yard to stretch it out much, so I'm training full height. Any ideas for A-frame contact? Thanks!
(P.S. I'm getting a good stop at the end of the dogwalk, but the A-frame he just wants to jump from.)

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
How did you teach contacts in the beginning? Does he have 2o2o? Or running?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Yes. What type of contact do you have on the dogwalk? What type of contact are you hoping for? Do you want a two on/two off (2o/2o)? A running? If so, what is the dog's criteria for that contact. That is, what specific information does the dog need to understand to know what his job is.

Criteria for my dogs' 2o/2o is: Run as fast as is safe to the bottom of the contact. Put the two front feet on the ground and the two back feet on the contact. Hold the position until released by the handler.

That is specific criteria my dogs can understand.

No, hoops don't work because as soon as they are removed, the dogs break the contact. There is no trained "criteria" with hoops. Dogs don't understand "run into the yellow" or "run and pretend there's a hoop there." Do you see the difference between real criteria and no criteria?

So tell me what you want to train and what the dog's criteria for that behavior would look like. Be specific and detailed.

Reactions: jclark343

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes. What type of contact do you have on the dogwalk? What type of contact are you hoping for? Do you want a two on/two off (2o/2o)? A running? If so, what is the dog's criteria for that contact. That is, what specific information does the dog need to understand to know what his job is.

Criteria for my dogs' 2o/2o is: Run as fast as is safe to the bottom of the contact. Put the two front feet on the ground and the two back feet on the contact. Hold the position until released by the handler.

That is specific criteria my dogs can understand.

No, hoops don't work because as soon as they are removed, the dogs break the contact. There is no trained "criteria" with hoops. Dogs don't understand "run into the yellow" or "run and pretend there's a hoop there." Do you see the difference between real criteria and no criteria?

So tell me what you want to train and what the dog's criteria for that behavior would look like. Be specific and detailed.
On the dogwalk, I have a "4 on" kind of thing. Towards the end, he slows down, and comes to a complete stop on my command (just before his front feet leave the obstacle). I would love to train running, but he just wants to fly. So I suppose 2o2o would be best. In my ideal situation, he would creep down the A-frame as fast as he could while keeping low to the ground. At the end, he would freeze until released with a 2o2o.
Thank you for offering your help. I do see how he needs a solid thing to do.

·
Registered
574 Posts
OK. :) I recommend you look into Rachel Sander's DVDs. She has one on how to train a 2o/2o. While not exactly how I would do it, it's a very good method. If you decide to do a running A frame, her PVC box method is good for dogs transitioning from another type of contact to a running A frame. You really have to stick to criteria when training either method, and Rachel is good at explaining this in the DVDs. You can check them out at cleanrun.com.

Good luck!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.