Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've adopted a cat rescued from a hoarding situation recently. The dogs have been carefully trained to not bother ANY cat... but the cat well, he has his own ideas.

And he hates dogs. And he'll happily attack one if he sees it, even if the dog is lying there asleep. I don't mean just growling and puffing up I mean ATTACKING, biting and clawing and screaming. My poor dogs are showing incredible restraint but it's rapidly getting too much.

...How do you train a CAT to not be aggressive??

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Since neither of us could find any help about the situation the cat's been returned. The rescue made it a point to tell us that since we're returning him and he's proven to have 'problems', they'll likely euthanize him. Dad informed them that we've already got dogs who had to get stitches at the vet because of this cat and no amount of guilt tripping will change that.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Since neither of us could find any help about the situation the cat's been returned. The rescue made it a point to tell us that since we're returning him and he's proven to have 'problems', they'll likely euthanize him. Dad informed them that we've already got dogs who had to get stitches at the vet because of this cat and no amount of guilt tripping will change that.
That is MEAN. You didn't do anything wrong. They sent the cat to a home with dogs and didn't bother to check how it is with dogs. Plus, there's absolutely no reason they couldn't place that cat in a no dog home. They do it all the time.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was pretty obviously a guilt trip to try to get us to keep the cat. There's plenty of other rescues and pounds looking to home their cats, we're just gonna look there instead.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
It was pretty obviously a guilt trip to try to get us to keep the cat. There's plenty of other rescues and pounds looking to home their cats, we're just gonna look there instead.
Good. I worry when people say horrible things like that because you never know if the person on the receiving end has anxiety or depression or something. Mental illness makes you take things so personally and a guilt trip like that could send a person into a terrible spiral of shame and guilt. You just never know.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do feel bad for the cat. Aside from nearly ripping out Ben's eye and tattering one of his ears (ferocious killer pitbull obv), he was with people a pretty sweet cat. But well... we can't deal with that kind of hate. Not with how slippery cats are and how hard they are to keep anywhere they don't want to be. Dogs at least you can rotate.

We still want another cat though. Just a sane one. We lost our kitty of 18 years recently, and it feels time to look for a new one.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
hope you`ll have more luck! :)

I once came across a cat like that. She was an etsy bitsy tiny thing ... my dog just walked past her, didn`t even notice her. She jumped up and onto my 35kg dog`s face ......................

I couldn`t even grab her. BF came to rescue and eventually had to literally rip her off the dog and toss her across the yard, TWICE.

I took Saara and ran, lol.

Luckily Saara was unharmed, just a small scratch right below her left eye. A very close call.

Crazy cat. This was also a very powerful, high prey drive dog that usually held her own in situations.

I haven`t viewed cats as harmless/defenseless beings after that.

Now when I'm walking Ella and see a lone cat sitting somewhere, I try to go around it in a wide circle. They can be insane :D And so dead set on doing what they want .. no amount of screaming/yelling from human will stop them. And it`s very hard to get them off the dog, they are super agile and fast, moving like electrons.

It`s much easier to separate fighting dogs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.