Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have allready posted this in the training category but was not sure if it fit that catagory. Hi, My name is Sue and I own 3 dogs. A 10 year old mixed female, a 4 year old male Rottweiller, and a 2 year old male boxer. For the first year and a half they got along great. Once in a great while the Rottweiller would show some agression by growling when someone walked by him or if someone went out the door and the boxer never showed any aggression. Within the last couple of months the two male dogs have been fighting. At first I noticed it would be over a crumb of food and now it seems to be over a look one gives the other. The fights seem to be getting worse and more frequent. The female is spayed but neither males are neutered but I have one scheduled to be done this Thursday, once that is done the second is going to be neutered. Does anyone think this may help or are the dogs a ticking timebomb. I have children in the house and the dogs fights are as though they are trying to kill each other. The boxer is very trainable but the Rottweiller has always been a little stubborn.

·
Registered
103 Posts
From years of experience I would say yes it is a ticking time bomb and your children are at risk of being seriously injured. Both Rottie and Boxer males can be very competitive they will fight over food, fight over attention which is the real danger a small child petting one the other says hey pay attention to me.. you get the idea.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Neutering may help somewhat but both dogs are already mature so their personalities are pretty much already set imho. If you want this to work, I'd contact a professional trainer who regularly deals with aggressive dogs. Otherwise, I think your children are indeed at risk.

We adopted a boxer/am staff mix and had him for several months during which we tried training under a professional's guidance. The dog remained extremely food aggressive and even though I learned how to manage that behavior for the most part, he was basically a ticking time bomb and we eventually had him put down. I did not want my children endangered any longer. It was a tough decision that had its share of guilt and what-if's. I'm not saying this is what needs done in your case but I can empthasize with the difficulty of your situation.

Best of luck to you and yours.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the advise. I am hoping neutering them will help. Surprisingly whenever they are outside together this does not happen. The food aggression only happened once. Maybe its wishfull thinking but since this hasn't become an ongoing problem maybe neutering will fix this. If not I am going to have to make a tough decision. I am not sure about putting them down though since the aggression is not against people or other dogs just each other. Neither dog bothers the female, she is food aggressive but has never hurt anyone in her 10 years.

·
Registered
103 Posts
They don't have to be aggressive towards people...people can get caught in the crossfire. From your first post it sounded more serious now it doesn't happen often? or hasn't been an ongoing problem? You are dealing with 2 dogs fully capable of killing a child even a small adult without always meaning to. I'm not just throwing stuff out there to you or trying to be negative, I'm telling you this from past experiences with dogs that did the same thing. I don't mean 1 or 2, I am talking about a lifetime of dealing with dogs.
Some times things happen you can take all the precautions in the world and still something bad happen, so ask yourself is it truly worth one of your children losing a finger, hand, eye or their life over.
The only way you are going to avoid a disaster is to either separate the two permanently, re-home one or end up having one euthanized. I'll agree those decisions are tough and having to make them stinks but having a child lose a limb or worse and even yourself trying to break them up when they do fight to me really isn't worth the risk.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Also, to add another note here... true food aggression doesn't occur just once and it's usually not ever fully "cured" but instead, managed. If it was truly food aggression, there would be very serious, clear signs.

Perhaps the issue regarding your dogs lies elsewhere? It sounds more like dog aggression towards one another. Neutering certainly won't hurt to try but it may take a few months before you'd notice any behavioral changes.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Its more a domination issue. Why some ppl have 2 dogs entire I will never know. I mean Im a breeder and I do but some ppl arent breeders and still leave them entire. yes is will help once they are desexed, but I agree with c2p that its already set in. I will tell you I had two bitchs that got along fine. One day they took a big dislike for eachother and they never ever forgot it. They had some holes in their faces from their fight. I couldnt have them in kooey of eachother, just staring eachother out and they would charge for eachother. Both were very dominant bitchs.

As c2p said, its who is in the road of the crossfire. My breed is small and they can still hurt you, but your sized dogs can kill especially a kid. They both need a pro trainer in, and hopefully they can sort something out, if not you will have to rehome one of them. You must tell ppl that they have this problem so they know not to get a second male. However if they attacked and someone got hurt or badly injured one another I would myself pts the dog/s

1 - 7 of 7 Posts