Dog Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I recently adopted a rescue dog, it will be about a month. The vet says she is between 3-5 years old. She is fairly comfortable with my husband and I, likes to be pet and played with. Never growls at us. However, when someone comes over our house she will sometimes let out a low growl. If left alone she gets over it and eventually warms up on her own time. Usually when taking her out for a walk she can be nervous when walking past someone or a bike but can move on rather quickly. When another dog is walking she will sometimes want to check it out but can move on quickly. Today I took her out for a walk and at the end of our walk a larger dog was in front of us that she had not seen before, she started growling and lunging at the dog. After a second I was able to get her attention and go home. But I am nervous about this. Am I overreacting? This is my first dog.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Certain dogs, including bull mixes, have dog aggression issues. You can work to minimize it but it may always be present. If your dog is dog aggressive, keep it away form other dogs. Slowly introduce her to new people. Remember that rescue dogs need a long period of adjustment when acquired. Give her time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She isn't a bull mix she is a medium size dog about 25 pounds , corgi /collie mix . She doesn't always growl and has not been recently at other dogs, but today she did. Is this dog aggression?

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
It's probably not aggression, maybe reactivity, likely just normal dog stuff. She might just need more time to adjust and gain some confidence.

Check out the info in this thread: Reactivity, On Leash Aggression, and Barrier Frustration

Even if your dog is perfectly fine (and likely is) the exercises outlined in that thread won't hurt.

I have a frustrated greeter and a fearful dog - neither are fun, but it's manageable. I suspect your girl is fine, but needs to know what to do when confronted with something unexpected. The info in the thread linked above will help.

·
Banned
1,398 Posts
When I saw the corgi in the corgi/collie mix dog you have, it makes some sense now. You wouldn't be the first person to deal with the territorial aggressiveness or dog aggression toward unfamiliar dogs Corgis exhibit. I guess it's just the Corgi coming through in your dog rather than the Collie. Corgis have somewhat of a unique character to them and are formidable dogs for their size. Think "big dog" with short legs. You won't go wrong with more obedience training.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your input. I recently joined this dog forum and I just wanted to say thank you for being such an encouragement to me. I love roxy , that is her name but I have been so nervous that I am doing things wrong and not giving her the best that she deserves. This forum has given me so many tips and it's awesome to hear from other dog lovers out there . I am setting her up with a trainer who does positive reinforcement training . Our first lesson is tomorrow ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Great to hear that.
Roxy probably just need to adjust a little and get used to the situation.
You have to go slow on this and give her more time like what those above said.
You're doing great. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts