Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog is 5 years old (I just personally started taking care of him a couple years ago) he was never trained as a puppy and growls, barks, goes after strangers in the house. My sister (doesn’t live with me but visits atleast once a week) is due to have a baby later this year and I was wondering if I should continue to be as nervous as I am about my dog with the baby, or if he’ll do better than I expect. He’s not aggressive at all towards my sister, he actually really loves her, he did have a problem with her husband at first but has grown to like him also. I’ve also started to play baby noises from a stroller and try to act more as if there’s a baby in the house, just to try and get my dog used to it. Any advice or insight into how my dog will (hopefully) react, I know there’s no guarantees

·
Super Moderator
7,944 Posts
It sounds like you are making a good start, but obviously the baby's safety is a priority. The good thing is that the baby will not be mobile or unattended for the first few months of his or her life, so dog and baby interactions will be easy enough to monitor. When the baby becomes more mobile, you will need to supervise, as you would with any dog, but at least by then you will know what to expect and whether your dog needs to be kept away altogether.
However, I have no baby experience (like, none; not just baby and dog experience) so I'm sure others will add more.

For your dog's behaviour with other strangers in the house, I expect you use things like this already but baby gates are a great way of allowing him to see what is happening from a safe distance but keeping everyone safe.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You can start training your pet. First, teach the dog simple commands - "come", "place", "stop". Your task is to achieve impeccable obedience. So in the future, you will be able to walk with the dog and the child.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.