Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I just consulted my dog's vet. We finally determined that he fractured his hind leg due to a fall. He prescribed meds 4 the pain although my dog didn't whine. His lack of response to pain made me misjudge the calll to bring his to the vet as i thought it was a sprain. Anyway, is there anything i should ask from my vet regarding my dog' care? I would love 2 have a 2nd opinion but i don't want 2 burden my dog with the distance and travel.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Which bone is broken? How long ago was the fall? Is it partially healed? Is it in line? Did the vet take an x-ray?

You need to find out from your vet what is recommended. Is surgery the thing to do, or splinting or just cage rest?

How big is your dog? How old is he?

So many questions in order for us to be any help to you...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which bone is broken? How long ago was the fall? Is it partially healed? Is it in line? Did the vet take an x-ray?

You need to find out from your vet what is recommended. Is surgery the thing to do, or splinting or just cage rest?

How big is your dog? How old is he?

So many questions in order for us to be any help to you...
Hind leg, left side. When I went to the vet, it was 5 days old. I mistook it for a sprain and waited the customary 3-4 days. When nothing was happening, I went to the vet. Bad judgement on my part.

My vet had him with an x-ray and felt the injured part. We confirm it was a fracture. At first, he also thought it was also sprain since my dog didn't cry even once after the incident.

Vet checked for blood pressure in the leg and thankfully, eliminated the possibility that we have to amputate.

Vet told me the best method is surgery, if I am interested. The problem is travel. Also said to me that the bone will heal on its own. Presently, he was given meds and I plan to update the vet every week. I plan for a check-up next month when he's officially off with his meds and explore options.

toy breed, shih tzu and poddle mix, nearing 2 years. Would love to have him in a cast, but he might chew the cast before teh month ends.

I'll be grateful for any answers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts