Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My usually feisty Jack Russell was recently mauled by a large dog while on a walk in the AM with my wife. He has recovered physically, but now will not go on his morning walk with her.
He behaves normally in other situations, and doesn't even seem to be fearful of big dogs.
I suspect he is associating the morning walk with the attack.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
223 Posts
Jeffrapp,

Really sorry to hear this. I'm glad your dog survived. I've been in your shoes multiple times and not always been so lucky.

Speaking from experience, you may have a long road ahead of you to countercondition the fear response your dog is now experiencing. My suggestion would be breaking down the desired behavior into smaller tasks (clipping his leash on and off, walking out the door, walking around the yard, walking 3 steps out of the yard, walking 6 steps out of the yard, etc...) positively reinforce your dog if he is successful with any of these small steps. Use a valued food or toy item, but not so high value that your dog goes beyond his comfort zone to attain the reward. That will be counterproductive. You want to keep the dog comfortable (i.e. under threshold) and the experience positive and rewarding so you can recondition him to enjoy walks.

I hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.