Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if a person is claiming a dog that you found is theirs but has no vet records or no ownership or pictures of the dog. says theyll call the police will the police have any right to take the dog out of our custody if they other people cant prove they have ownership or anything sort. I love this dog and i dont want to go sit in a cage when we have someone who can take care of it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
if a person is claiming a dog that you found is theirs but has no vet records or no ownership or pictures of the dog. says theyll call the police will the police have any right to take the dog out of our custody if they other people cant prove they have ownership or anything sort. I love this dog and i dont want to go sit in a cage when we have someone who can take care of it.
I would and have asked for paper work. Any dog I've found, it was clear the dog belonged to their owners. Look at the dogs behavior, it is usually a good sign.

Otherwise, if you don't want a confrontation take it to the local shelter, they will do the right thing.

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
I'm not sure where you are, but in the US, there is a stray hold. If you found a dog, you are legally obligated to do your due diligence to find the legal owner. You have to report the dog as lost to animal control. You may surrender it, or you may foster it for the hold period. The hold period itself varies from state to state. Some areas it's only a couple days. Other areas it's 2 weeks. It's just time for the legal owner to find and claim their dog.

If you haven't gone through the proper legal channels, then yes, the police may remove the dog from you if these people report you and have some kind of proof that the dog is theirs. If they have proof, it's considered stolen property.

If you have gone through the legal channels and waited the stray hold period and nobody claimed her, then legally she's yours and there's nothing they can do.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
the stry hold period is not law in all countries, but they for sure have someway (papers, photos) to proof it is their dog.
and if it is their dog, you have to give it back to them. otherwise you'd be a theif and the people can ask the police to get their property back.
the only way get around this, would be that you proof that there's a severe case of cruelty against animals going on. In that case the first thing to do would be to get the dog checked by a vet.
(which you generally should do, to check for the chip).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts