Dog Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
This is my first post here and i think i just wanted to share with you my bad luck (this is how i'm calling this) with the adopted dogs. I'm not looking for a judgment (even i know it will come) as i'm judging myself every day.

Long story short. Last year, me and my husband adopted a dog (named Jay-Jay) from the shelter (run by Foundation more like a foster home since the dogs where in the big house). The puppy (mixed breed Parson type) was 4 months old we traveled for him almost 500km from our home, we signed the papers and we came back home. We have been informed that he was found by rescue team in a forest with his mother and 3 other puppies. He was healthy and already after vaccination. A week after adoption on a routine vet visit we learnt that he had heart murmur and we should consider visiting cardiologist. So we did. After first check up it turned out that puppy has very serious heart disease - aortostenosis. The life span of such dogs is around 5 yrs, also vet told us that it is impossible that any veterinarian in the shelter could omit that since it was already very serious. We were shocked and traumatized, a lot of people asked us if we have consider returning him. We haven't felt like this. He was so sweet and calm, he learnt very fast he was a perfect dog actually... every month his prognosis were worse (firstly max 3 yrs of life, than maybe a year) he was getting a lot of pills we paid a lot for consultation, unfortunately he could't get the surgery. Finally at age: 10 months (only) he died. I think a part of me died as well i was so engaged with him. Me and my husband actually did everything to make his life easier.
We talked when he was alive that no matter what happen we should consider a dog again. A lot of people supported us, they said that this will be good for us to take care of another 'poor puppy'.

Around 4 months later we started looking for a dog, we wanted a dog around 10 months old as our previous one. We decided to adopt again. Different shelter, but dog we have chosen was quite similar to our lovely Jay-Jay. I should have noticed first alarm already when we went for a first visit but i didn't. When we came there the lady owner of the shelter told us that the dog we wanted to see was already adopted (i was actually angry because we traveled again 100km from home), but she wanted to show us another dog which we might like. Tbh, i didn't like the dog at all he was bigger than our expectations, very loud and just not my type but we said 'lets give a try'. We went for a walk, the shelter owner and volunteers said that they know our story that our poor dog died an this is another poor dog we should consider. They were playing on our emotions so hard (now i can feel that). I don't know what turned out into this, but we scheduled another walk with this dog two days later and another one 3 days after. My husband openly said to the lady that he has a lot of questions and expectations and we can consider this dog only if he meets at least most of them. Dog was already too big (we wanted max 10 kg dog, he was around 17kg). they couldn't decide how old he was and told us something around 8-10 months (so puppy). They said the dog was dropped by shelter fence by abuser owner, we asked what kind of abuser since they were, so sure about this, but not a lot of comments were placed (only that probably the dog was starving because he is eating a lot in the shelter). My husband underlined that there is one big thing we will not accept - any sort of aggression and if they noticed something like this from the dog. They denied. (Aggression was important for us and me because i was bitten by the unnamed dog at age 8 yrs old and it took me a lot of time time to work on that trauma). We discussed with my husband and actually we said that if only problem is the dog is bigger then we wanted, but rest of the things are fine we can consider. And this is how we adopted the second dog (named Hunt). Two days after adoption the dog has 'attacked' me first time. He just out of the nowhere jumped to my ankles and hands trying to bit me and actually he left me with a lot of bruising and scrubs, but as other people said i still had my hands and ankles in one piece. When this happened i was alone on the walk with the dog i didn't understand what happen i got a panic attack and called my husband. He said i should calm down and he will take a dog himself. 20 mins later he called me cursing a lot that WTF happened this dog is getting crazy omg (staff like this). After this story, i first thought about sending the dog back to the shelter. But my husband wanted to try and give him a chance, so we set up a behaviorist visit. The dog was so frustrated and showed his attacks again in front of behaviorist. The diagnosis was that the dog is hyperritable, frustrated and shows something like human ADHD. We were advised to give him firstly cannaboil and then if this didn't work we should automatically go into the medicines like antidepressants, xanax etc. It was too much for me to be honest. And the dog was still acting like this, he stopped a little bit the attacks on walks, but he moved everything at home. Basically i need to say that after first 'attack' i was so traumatized i couldn't eat for a week anyway we still tried but i think i already made my mind. My husband was really desperate to make this work even that the dog frustrated him so much. I informed the shelter after 5 days with the dog that we have so many issues with him - they were totally not surprised. Finally, after almost 3 weeks i informed them that i'm no longer able to take care of the dog as i'm physically and psychologically tired. Again, shelter owner was not surprised at all, she even thanked us for the time we have spent with the dog and for the consultation. This only showed me that probably the were aware of the dog condition and lied to us.

I actually i don't know what to say - i'm getting a lot of judgment from the friends and family that i can feel ('how could you return the dog?'). Some of them tried not to judge. But mostly i'm judging myself every day. I'm feeling like a failure and treating this as a sign that i shouldn't have dogs anymore and i have so bad luck.
Any of you had bad luck with the adoptions, but finally met his long time dog friend?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your comments. Despite what happened I feel sorry for the dog I have returned and I wish him another human eager to work with him on his behaviour ( that won’t be scared of him). I know he anyway felt something to us and even it was quite short time and mentally exhausting for me I will remember him best I can.
I think for now I will “take a break” from looking for a dog. I will focus on the dogs that already in the family ( my sister has a dog, also my parents have two) there is so much to love. And maybe some time in the future me and my husband will find our ‘best friend’.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts