Dog Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm so sorry for what's happened to you, so much heartache that shouldn't have happened.

Some rescues and shelters are so eager to get dogs into homes they exaggerate the pros and downplay or even ignore the cons the way you experienced, and some are really hard to get a dog from because they worry so much the home won't fit.

Two things you need to consider. First, any dog you adopt you should take to a vet for an exam right away. This is true of a puppy you buy also. Good breeders have a contract with their buyers and a vet check within a certain period is required. When I did rescue, we required this of adopters. I don't know how common that is with shelters and rescue, but you should definitely do it for your own protection and decide ahead of time how much of a problem you are willing and able to deal with.

Just as a for instance, I'll be honest with you, I would have returned that first puppy. The one puppy I bought out of state years ago and flew to get, I made a vet appointment in that state and took her there before flying home with her. For me enough problems crop up in a dog's lifetime without taking them on from the get-go. But you need to decide on things like that for yourself up front.

Second, consider a breed rescue. People who rescue a given breed often have dogs who aren't really purebred but a mix of that breed and something else, but if you go to someone who rescues dogs of a 10 kg breed, the odds of them having, much less pushing a 17 kg dog on you are pretty small.

I'm not good at knowing which country a poster here is in from many flags and don't recognize yours, @Izzy135, are there no shelters or rescue groups closer to you than hundreds of km? That makes things really difficult, but I never adopted any dog out except on a trial period of at least 2 weeks, and not only did I get a few returned, which was fine with me, but I actually went and got a couple I can think of because feedback from the trial adopter in that time made me unwilling to leave the dog with them.

There's absolutely no reason you should feel bad about returning a dog. Even with much less of a problem, he should never have been adopted to someone who wasn't experienced with and willing to deal with aggression, and that's not good for you or the dog.

I hope whatever you do next results in a wonderful pet that brings joy to your life for years.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts