Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my dog is a 1.5 yo shih tzu in good health. Saturday he was a little itchy. We barely noticed. Then Saturday night he woke us up whining at my son’s bedroom door. He never sleeps with my son but he kept going to the door and then when he got in he whined at an empty extra bed in his room. In the morning he was acting very odd and sniffing the carpets in the house and walking slow on them almost as if he was scared of them. We took him to ER vet Sunday morning. They said his belly looked a bit pink so diagnosed allergic reaction. Doc gave shot of benedryl. He was okay throughout the day but still pretty whiny. Has only itches once or twice since then. Last night per doc orders we gave 12 mg of Benadryl. He was up all night whining at the door and at our kitchen table. Usually he sleeps thru night. My husband took him out and pee/poop is normal. Most of the times he took him out he didn’t go. When I took over from my husband this morning at 6 his whining continued. It was like he was trying to get away from the carpet that he’s been fine with before. He is now laying on kitchen floor (tile) and this seems to be the only way he will settle.

Other info:
Heat wave in our area Saturday and Sunday. We kept him in A.C. other than to take him out for quick walks.

He was around a new and bigger dog for two minutes on Friday afternoon. That dog is vaccinated but he did scare him a bit.

His belly is less red this morning.

Help? I’m really concerned.

Thank you.

·
Registered
264 Posts
... snip.... Doc gave shot of benedryl. He was okay throughout the day
Have you ever taken Benedryl? Go buy some and try it and you will understand why the dog was OK during the day. Benedryl is an antihistamine but it is also prescribed as a sleeping pill. Of ALL of the antihistamines your vet could have given the dog, THIS drug is the least likely to give you any effect from which you can draw useful conclusions.

Help? I’m really concerned.

Thank you.
back to the vet you go.... what they tried didn't work. Let them look again.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Again... go buy Benedryl and try it.

I believe you when you say your dog was up all night. Again I repeat what I said above.....

"back to the vet you go".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts