Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've just moved into a new house this week. Moving is pretty stressful. Our new house is quite larger then the apartment we were in. While we have been staying here at the new house, we have very few of our things here yet and no furniture, getting everything Saturday.

Anyways, since we have moved my dog Trixie has been acting fine. Not scared at all. Seemingly well adjusted to the move. She acts like the house is her home already!

But there is one huge problem with her behavior.... Since being here she has started acting super protective over her stuff towards our cats.

For example, I had fed her but she hadn't eaten it right away and instead was in the next room with me. The cat walked into the room her food was in and she ran charging the cat & then checked her food dish. Same thing has happened if the cats go near her crate or carrier, she charges them. Last night she even growled/snapped at the cat for just coming near her on the floor.

This all has me terribly upset. She has never acted like this towards the cats. The cats are having a much harder time adjusting and they don't need the added stress.

I assume it has to do with the move. What can I do to help the situation and get her to leave the cats alone?

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
She may be more stressed about the move than it appears.

I'd give her and the cats space away from each other, for now, if possible. Put Trixie's crate in a room the cats don't have access to, feed her in a room by herself, and only allow her access to the toys she values most when the cats aren't there. Additionally, limit interactions between the two as much as you possibly can.

I'd stick to this set up for a week or two and then slowly allow access to each other and the rest of the house. This will allow everyone to get used to their new surroundings without the added stress of other creatures. And if you are limiting the amount of house they have access to, it will allow them to get their bearings without feeling too overwhelmed at all of these "new" spaces.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Be very careful. Make sure the cats have somewhere to escape. My dog did the same thing. We moved from Mexico where the dog and cats had been together for two years with no problems. We move back to the states and my female dog went nuts one day when the cat followed us out into the garage. The cat tried to reenter the house and my dog took a chunk out of her behind. That happened again about a week later. I had to put a gate on the stairs so the dog could not get the cat. My cat ended up living up stairs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.