Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Yorkie-Poo acts so strangely and I can't figure out why or change his behavior!

Its like I'm a different person to him when I walk around my house or get up from bed. If he and I cross paths anywhere in the house and I'm walking around or standing he will either run away with his tail between his legs or try to get pass me and go into his crate. If I get up from bed and he is on the floor next to it he shoots up and dives into his crate. I don't understand why he acts like that only when I'm walking around my home.

I mean he loves me, every time I come home he jumps all over me and makes happy little noises and is just so excited. If he gets scared by something he runs right to me and jumps on my legs to be picked up. When ever I'm in bed he always cries until I pick him up and let him sleep with me. Actually, he is currently sleeping on my lap while I type this.

But if I put him on the floor and get up off the bed you'd better believe he'd make a mad dash for his crate. He is totally fine if I sit on the ground though, he will pop his little head out and bound on over! So excited to play! but If I stand while we are playing he gets so skittish! I've tried only petting him when i'm standing straight up and not bending my knees, but thats really hard because he is a tiny little thing. I've tried treating him when he tries to scoot past me to run into his cage, thinking maybe he'd stop and see being around me while I'm standing isn't so bad! but he just ignores the treat and runs into his crate. I have no idea what to do, I've never seen anything like this before and don't know why he feels afraid when I'm standing :( Doesn't anyone have any clue about something like this or tips for him to see its okay if we cross paths in the house.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well, are you one of those people who run and lunge after their dogs when they do something wrong? Or rub their nose in things and yell? Do you use the crate as punishment? It sounds like he thinks you're going to be mad at him and make him go in his crate anyway.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would tend to agree initially. He is doing this in response to you for some reason. Not being there and not knowing how you act with the puppy I can't say for sure what that is. My first suggestion would be to think back REALLY hard as to the actual first time he started this behavior, not the instantly-changed behavior you described, but the ACTUAL first time it happened. What were the circumstances? What was the puppy doing? What were you doing? How did you react? That should be a starting point to try to figure out why the behavior has started to manifest itself habitually.

·
Registered
161 Posts
With small dogs, sometimes things you aren't aware you are doing will frighten them. You might have accidentally kicked him/tripped over him as you were walking, or handled the leash roughly inadvertently while walking him, or hovered/loomed over him, or anything like that.

It doesn't matter the reason, but know you can repair the relationship. Something I recommend is training him to do tricks with you fully upright such as leg weaves and jumping through your arms or heelwork. If he's not ready for that yet, there are tricks you can do like jumping over your arms as you sit on the floor or asking him to go between your legs while you are kneeling. Use positive methods, keep it upbeat, and have fun with it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts