Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rottie, who is 11 mo. Has what looks like a bunch of pipples they are all over his chin and are now spreading. When I squeeze his whole chin which is swolen puss then blood comes out. Has anyone had this? We are planing on taking him to the vets but Id rather find out how to cure it then spend a fortune at the vets. I know that he has not gotten into any thing as hes had this for a long time. This has stopped is show career :(
I will ad some pics later.
Thanks

Oh his diet is beneful, or pedigree, which ever one we can get at the time, small town and not the best selection to go along with price. We buy 150 lbs of dog food a month so which ever is cheaper.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I found this information on it:

"Canine acne is a benign self-limiting disease of the chin and lips of young dogs. Short-coated dogs, such as boxers, bulldogs and rottweilers, are at increased risk for acne. The condition starts at puberty around 5 to 8 months of age. Most dogs improve with age and the condition typically resolves after one year of age."

"Treatment:
Benzoyl peroxide gel (5 percent, Oxydex® gel, Pyoben® gel) may be used daily on affected areas. Benzoyl peroxide combines a good antibacterial action against Staphylococcus with a follicular flushing property, which helps in cases of comedones. It could be irritating and some dogs may worsen with this therapy. Prolonged use may also cause excessive drying of the skin and subsequent irritation. Benzoyl peroxide can also be used as a wash at lower concentration (2.5 percent, Oxydex® shampoo). Area should be washed twice weekly with a contact time of 10 minutes."

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, wow I didnt know it was an actuall condition. Its really nasty tho. I dont give him much kisses any more.

Poptart: You have one to? Go ROTTIES!

·
Registered
16 Posts
first thing i would do if you can find it is to switch his feed. by pedigree i guess you mean Pal and thats not all its cracked up to be. infact its terrible lol i was once shown by a vet what Pal and other such foods consist of and what they do to your dog and i will never feed that kind of food again.

there is a huge dog food range made in the states called Hills Science Diet. there is a specific one called Sensitive Skin. i use Hills and have noticed so many beneficials. it is a little more expensive but you use less and the benefits far outweigh the price.

anyhoo, i would still recommend taking him to a vet. the treatments you will need will be prescription only at least here it would be.

i believe this condition can eventually clear up but treatment is better than allowing it to continue. it cant be too comfortable for them

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sparky had this.
You NEED to take you're dog to a vet. We waited to long and it spread around his eyes and shut them. Don't let him eat any food, other then rice. The salts and spices will torture him ( Imagin salt on a big open cut on you're face). It's not contageous so you can still give kisses but be careful not to hit it because it's very sensative.
If you cant take him/her to a vet for any reason give 1 baby ASPRIN ( nothing else ) for ever 5 pounds of the dog and not to excede 3.
You'll get a pill and thei'll ask you to try and give it without a coating.. for faster action ( no cheese ) but if you must, you can. For the while.. you can feed him/her baby pablem or baby food with a spoon. Thei'll give you a cream to put on in the morning's but the wound needs to be cleaned so I suggest baby wash. (Johnsons)
Keep us updated and bless you :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
I found this information on it:

"Canine acne is a benign self-limiting disease of the chin and lips of young dogs. Short-coated dogs, such as boxers, bulldogs and rottweilers, are at increased risk for acne. The condition starts at puberty around 5 to 8 months of age. Most dogs improve with age and the condition typically resolves after one year of age."

"Treatment:
Benzoyl peroxide gel (5 percent, Oxydex® gel, Pyoben® gel) may be used daily on affected areas. Benzoyl peroxide combines a good antibacterial action against Staphylococcus with a follicular flushing property, which helps in cases of comedones. It could be irritating and some dogs may worsen with this therapy. Prolonged use may also cause excessive drying of the skin and subsequent irritation. Benzoyl peroxide can also be used as a wash at lower concentration (2.5 percent, Oxydex® shampoo). Area should be washed twice weekly with a contact time of 10 minutes."
Oh gosh, I'd advise you to not use peroxide. It will hurt him soo bad.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
If the dog is over a year and a half old you need to see a vet.

Also that food will cause all sorts of bizzare skin problems and alergic reactions. What is your budget? There are semi-premium foods that dont cost a fortune.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi,
I'm new to this forum, but not new to the dog world!

Rottie's are prone to several things: Food allergies, vaccine reactions, autoimmune diseases, to name a few. Be very careful not to over vaccinate!

You may want your vet to do some allergy tests too.

Your dog most likely has a food allergy. I've seen Boxers with this condition and it was always related to food. Pedigree and Beneful (also made by Pedigree) are horrible diets. Feeding your dog cheap foods is not the way to go. If you were to look up online about what they actually put in dog foods you would be horrified! I've studied diets for years. I'm allergic to all dogs fed any of the Science diet dog foods.

Grains are terrible for dogs. Dog foods high in grains are known to cause bloat in large breed dogs. This is fact! To get and keep your dog healthy your going to have to spend some good money on a really good diet. It's worth it believe me.

Dog foods I feed my dogs are all grain free: Taste of the Wild (Excellent dog food! My top choice), the High Prairie formula. Evo, the red meat and chicken based formulas. There are a few others out there, you'll have to read the ingredients.

I raise my pups or when any of my guys are not feeling good: Raw Buffalo and goat yogurt. This is the easiest on their stomachs and digestive tracks.

There are some really good very expensive raw and dehydrated diets out there too. But the cost is quite high and prohibitive on those of us that live on a budget.

Hope this helps! Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
first thing i would do if you can find it is to switch his feed. by pedigree i guess you mean Pal and thats not all its cracked up to be. infact its terrible lol i was once shown by a vet what Pal and other such foods consist of and what they do to your dog and i will never feed that kind of food again.
I had my dog at the veterinary teaching hospital in Columbia Mo several years ago and the vet there told me to feed my dog Eukanuba but with it being as expensive as it is that if I couldn't afford it to feed him Pedigree instead. So its obviously not as bad as you think if a TEACHING VET recommends it o_O Its also the only food I've used that I have NEVER had any skin issues with.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I had my dog at the veterinary teaching hospital in Columbia Mo several years ago and the vet there told me to feed my dog Eukanuba but with it being as expensive as it is that if I couldn't afford it to feed him Pedigree instead. So its obviously not as bad as you think if a TEACHING VET recommends it o_O Its also the only food I've used that I have NEVER had any skin issues with.
Unfortunately Vets have very little knowledge of nutrition and have no business recommending food. They have about 1 week of training in school and is even sometimes taught but representatives of the big food companies like hills and purina. They give hugh sums of money to the vet schools and in return are recommended by the vets through their practices. If you want inexpensive go to Costco and get either the Natures Domain which is grain free or the Kirklands is also better quality then Eukanuba. At least neither contains byproducts.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Oh his diet is beneful, or pedigree, which ever one we can get at the time, small town and not the best selection to go along with price. We buy 150 lbs of dog food a month so which ever is cheaper.
I would dump the beneful simply because it contains dyes and coloring in the food which in my cat caused seizures. I would also get a stainless steal bowl if your are using any other like plastic. Sometimes this can solve the problem. I would got to the vet to make sure there is no infection. If you want something natural to dry it up I would use aloe vera. You can buy a plant for the yard or go to the health food store and buy a tube of plain aloe . It is a clear substance if it is green coloring has been added and you dont want more dyes and coloring.

·
Premium Member
3,829 Posts
Zombies on Mother's Day! Thread is from 2008.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.