Dog Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! My parents got two puppies just about two months ago (currently seven months old). They're super close and clearly love each other. Dog 2 is incredibly sweet, a bit small (looks like a Jack Russell Terrier), and a little bit slower in learning things (still doesn't respond to her name). Dog 1 is bigger (like a German Shepherd Terrier mix), much quicker, and very observant. We've noticed that Dog 1 sometimes is triggered and becomes very aggressive with Dog 2, as if she wants to hurt her.

For example, I was sitting on the couch with my mom. Dog 1 was on my lap, and Dog 2 was sitting between my mom and myself. Out of nowhere, Dog 1 jumped off the couch and started growling and biting Dog 2. Not playing or rough housing, but trying to pull her off the couch by the head while I was trying to shove her away. I ended up grabbing Dog 1 and isolating her in another room for a couple of minutes. This isn't the first time this has happened.

We're worried this aggression will continue when someone isn't home and is unable to put a stop to it. We also have two cats, who are both on the older side, and sometimes both of the puppies become a bit playful but it's not an issue. We're worried it can become one. Also, Dog 2 has started to become upset for a while after these bouts, and growls at Dog 1 for a few hours.

Any advice? What should we do? I've researched, but all I can see online is to search for triggers and separate them when a potential issue arises. :/

Thank you!

·
Registered
893 Posts
Dog 2 could be resource guarding either her family, couch, or a combination of both.
I would keep them separated when you are not home. I would also not allow any dog on the couch to see if there is a change in behaviour from dog 2.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
I'd look up littermate syndrome while you're at it. It's not uncommon for that to progress to aggression between the dogs.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
I agree with @amaryllis, definitely look up and read about littermate syndrome, I would start trying to do things with the dogs individually.

I've also noticed they are both girls, are they spayed? I've heard that when it comes to having two dogs the easiest combination is: boy + girl, boy + boy, and lastly girl + girl.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts