Dog Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 1 year old Shih Poo since she was 1 month old, and she has been considerably tough to potty train. She is generally inclined to go in the house, although I scrub with enzymatic cleaner (getting excited and peeing doesn't help either). I take her out every 1.5 to 2 hours and she doesn't show any signs of having to go because she doesn't worry about making it outside. Even if I do take her out, she is generally disinclined to go. She doesn't really have a spot to choose from, and we don't have a fence so I have to follow her leashed, which she often misinterprets as walking, hence not wanting to go to any certain spot. I can't train her otherwise because for some odd reason she doesn't accept treats while outside. Frustrating.

Is there anything I can do to remedy this situation?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm open to the idea of clicker training, but can I just click with my mouth or do I need a clicker? IOW does it make a difference?

·
Registered
16 Posts
if you have a smartphone I know there are clicker simulators but I don't know how good they are. if you don't my have a clicker or can't treat her while outside just flood her with praise or let her play with a favorite toy.
when in the house you'll need to have her under constant supervision and if she starts to go take her immediately outside. if you have a crate this may be able to speed up the housebreaking.
try looking up house breaking/potty training videos on YouTube to help. a good trainer on YouTube--my personal favorite-- is Zak George. positive clicker training.
good luck! hope this helps!

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
The clicker is really a marker. You could make the sound with your mouth, it just can be difficult sometimes to produce the exact same sound every time.

You could also use a word, like "yes" or a clicking pen, or a smartphone app. Clickers are actually pretty cheap though - sometimes training centers or pet stores will give them out for free; I bought three on Amazon for about $4.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I'm a fan of Zak George. My dog is smart enough to have gotten the whole clicker idea down in less than a day. Completely still when brushing. Hopefully, it will be just as useful in other areas.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
I'm open to the idea of clicker training, but can I just click with my mouth or do I need a clicker? IOW does it make a difference?
It just has to be the same noise every time. I click with my tongue it works the same as a clicker.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts