Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

is there anyone that doesn't make their dog wear its collar 24/7?
at the moment my pup is wearing her collar constantly, but she's always scratching at it. it is a nylon breakaway (safety) collar and has her tag and council registration tag on it. She is also micro chipped. so I'm just wondering if it is necessary for her to wear it all the time, or could I just add the tags to her harness when she is out in public (we walk with a harness).

There is basically no chance for her to escape my yard, unless someone were to leave the door open accidentally. Would any fine be incurred should she be picked up by the ranger with no identification? Has anyone has experience with this?

Love to hear your thoughts.

·
Registered
917 Posts
If you dog isn't a runner, and listens well I'd say there isn't a problem taking the collar off. I do it from time to time. But my dogs don't mind their collars. I'm a little leery of taking the Dane's collar off right now because she is young and sometimes i need to grab her. She doesn't bolt out the door, that I'm not afraid of. The boys listen fine and I have no problem take theirs off.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Depends on the dog. Reese is a flight risk, so she wears her collar and tags all the time.

Chess wouldn't run away if you tried to make her, so she rarely wears hers. No matter the collar, they rub her neck a lot. Only when we go out somewhere does she wear it.

Echo doesn't wear hers in the yard or house, because she is a huge snoop and I'm afraid she'd get stuck on something. If you leave it on loose enough to slip off, she takes it off and chews it. She also wrestles a lot with the roommates GSD and I'm afraid she'd get strangled. She always wears it when we go out.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I do just in case. Hunter is loose on the farm a lot and he kinda looks like a wild animal. I always worry that someone's gonna see him in a field and pick him up.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
662 Posts
Yes. He is an only dog and is totally used to wearing his collar 24/7. While he is secure in the house and yard, a couple of times someone has left the gate open and he has left the property, thankfully he has never got far. One time, he found his way to the next door but one neighbor's house - they were leaving and he hopped into the front passenger seat of their car and wouldn't get out! They were able to call me because he was wearing his collar with tag, as at that point they didn't know where he lived.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Nope, not in the house or back yard. But my yard is locked from the inside 100% of the time and my guys don't try to get out. I have three and they all wrestle and grab each other's neck so it's not safe to leave them on.

Any time they go out of the house/yard they all have harnesses and collars, both with tags.

Reactions: Tuckersmom

·
Registered
572 Posts
Manna nope but Vitae yes.

Manna if let out of the yard asks to come in the front door (actually unless the door is locked, she'll let herself in)

Vitae will run for the hills!

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Yes, most if the time.
he's an only dog and makes it easier to handle him for my family.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Samantha only has hers off at night when she sleeps. Before going out for the first time in the morning, I put it on her. It stays on until bed time.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Abby only ever has hers on when we leave the house otherwise she's enerally collarless. Twister is also collarless since dealing with matted fur caused by collars sucks.

Karma generally has hers on 24/7 except for when she's crated and Bo usually has his on 24/7 as well.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I have sight hounds so they have a collar on all of the time with their identification on it. The collars that they wear all the time are really light weight. Then they have separate collars that we put on when we are going for walks and things.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Yes. My dogs are also chipped but I get very nervous at the idea of losing one without a collar. And if they ever get out, they immediately have a phone number and/or e-mail to call that's listed on their tags. Our Doxies didn't wear collars as often when I was younger but that was my mom's decision, not mine. I would've kept them on.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Yes, 24/7. We've always had collars on our dogs 24/7. In my area if she were to get out without it on, I'm worried people would care less and not try to get her scanned (she's chipped too) and just keep her. With her collar on they know she's a pet and has a home, so hopefully they'd be more inclined to call me or get her scanned.

·
Registered
298 Posts
My dog doesn't mind her collar, so I leave it on. It also has her information on it, so it makes me feel safe, if anything were ever to happen to her.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Spunky wears her all the time but mostly just because we let her out on the chain and it's just more convenient to wear it. Plus it doesn't bother her at all.

Shania rarely had hers on. She was never a runner until her last few days. She stayed in the yard though and we never tied her up. Only time she would wear it was when we were camping or going for a walk and she needed a leash.

I'd say it really just depends on your animal. If she's been scratching at it and doesn't like it but also isn't a runner, then maybe she doesn't need one. But if she's young maybe she just needs to get used to it.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
As Jaya is still pretty feral in some ways, I always worry about her getting out of the yard and then evading all attempts to catch her. Some logic dictates that this is the kind of dog that should have a collar...if she got out and got lost. But, on the other hand...someone would have to be Extremely motivated to catch her...she's leery of catch cages...been there and done that, and she's been cornered by a large group of people, and she's been drugged to slow her down in order to catch her, and she's had a cowboy 'round pen' her...tiring her out so that going into the house was a better choice than running circles around the yard perimeter while a cowboy in the center wouldn't let her rest - all of these things happened in enclosed yards.

So, given her chances of being caught would be slim out in the great wide open, I then think....keeping a collar on her, isn't that big of a deal. She has a short think furry neck, and her collar just looks uncomfortable to me...plus with her allergies it just seemed to get in the way of her scratching...making her more miserable because she couldn't scratch under it easily. So, Jaya's collar stays off unless I have to take her to the vet.

HaHa, his collar remains on most of the time. He has a long slender neck and the collar is very loose. I tighten it up if I take him out on a leash someplace. I do worry, given his mental short comings, that he could get lost easily if he got out of the yard. But he's so dang friendly that he would go up to anyone, so hopefully, his ID tags would have him back home soon.

Stormy

·
Registered
871 Posts
I used to own a Houdini. Our backyard looked like a fortress and she would still get out. The one time she managed to get out, she didn't have her collar on and I lost her for a year before I found her again. Every time she managed to escape it was terrible, then when she was gone for a year I was miserable.

Because of her, my dogs wear collars 24/7. You may think they not be able to escape or get out, but there is a possibility and so I feel better knowing that Aayla and Kota have their collars on.

·
Super Moderator
3,746 Posts
Yes, my dog wears his collar 24/7 and is also micro-chipped.

I follow some FB pages that try to reunite lost dogs and their owners in my area, and so many dogs are found with collars and no tags or with unregistered or outdated microchips Nobody expects his or her dog to go missing, but once a dog does, having accurate owner information on a tag and/or a microchip can make all of the difference.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts