Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My name is Emma Cotterill and I am currently studying in my final year of my Veterinary Nursing degree. I have chosen my dissertation topic based upon firework phobia in dogs.

I am looking to find dog owners where there dogs suffer from firework phobia, including hiding or crying when hearing the fireworks.
I have a short questionnaire that I would really appreciate as much support for as possible. It will just need you to fill in any behavioral signs that you notice when fireworks begin and whether you have used any treatment for the fireworks.

I hope as many of you can help me as possible.:)

Unfortunatley I cannot upload the questionnaire but if you are willing to help, please message me and I will be able to send it out in a different way

Thank you,

Emma.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have had a dog who had extreme firework phobia, while living with another dog that was completely undeterred by the noise. I don't know if you would really like to know that, but I figured it would be interesting to note that sometimes firework phobia isn't something inherited from other dogs, nor is the lack of fear.

I'd be willing to give your questionnaire a try!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Yes, but he's deaf now so can't tell one way or the other. The only perk of him going deaf :eek: My two current dogs don't care in the slightest, and my parents' other dog has never minded either.

A bit of a suggestion, and feel free to completely ignore it... In my experience dogs that have a fear of fireworks also tend to fear other loud claps of noise, such as thunder. Most people don't live in areas where fireworks are set off on a regular basis (only a couple times per year around here), but thunder storms happen much more frequently. Is there any reason your topic can't include thunder phobia? You'd probably be able to get more information that way... anything I could provide would be more specifically related to our dog's issues with thunder and to a much lesser degree fireworks. Just something to consider! Feel free to PM me the info for the survey!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts